Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vbreddyasuh Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2007, 09:11 AM
    J1 visa- taxes- which form to use?
    Hi,
    I am a J1 - visa holder.
    This is my second consecutive years of my saty in USA.
    I am exempt from the taxes for the first two years of my stay here on J1-status.
    But if I stay here for more than two years, then I will have to pay all the taxes right from the first year retro acitively and with penalty.
    My programme here in USA will continue for another three years which means I have to pay all th etaxes.
    Instead of doing all this, I would like to pay the taxes right now though I am eligible to take the tax treaty benfit for the current year 2006.
    I do not want to accumulate all the taxes which I will have to pay later on.

So could you please tell me which form do I fill if I want to do as I said above?

Your answer will be greatly helpful for me.

Thanks
    VBR
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 09:17 AM
    VBR:

You will need to file taxes starting the year you entered the country. You should file as a non-resident alien, which should still exempt you from Medicare and Social Security taxes.

The Form for a non-resident alien is Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.

Which country are you from?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 visa student - self employment- 1099 tax form [ 13 Answers ]

I am a phd international student in Houston Texas. I am a citizen of Tunisia. I joined the program in fall 2005 and I am on campus employee. I am starting my second year now. I am filling W2 form for tax. I have an opportunity to gain extra income as self employed or independent contractor from...

Taxes on H1-B visa? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am sure this subject has been discussed number of times before. I have tried to skim through the replies to get an answer to my query. But I guess I must have missed some posts. Here is the summary of my work in year 2006: January-Feb: Worked in university March- April: worked on...

H1 VISA and taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I was told, I can deduct (itemized) all the expences related to stay (like apartment rent, food etc... ) since I am on H1-B visa. I have been working for the same employer in the same location for the past 5 years. I have allways done standard deduction. Is this true in anyway? Thanks

Filling wrong form of taxes help! [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know what will happen if they gave a 1099 Misc, and instead I filled out a W2..? Answer me as soon as possible!! Please

L-1 Visa Tax form [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All I am from India and I recently started working for a company on L-1( Intra company exchange visa). My date of joining was 13th December, and my L-1 got approved on 5th December 2005. I am not sure which form should I file, or Should I even file taxes as I have received only one pay...

View more questions Search