Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    E.Faulkner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2010, 08:46 AM
    MIF Deficiency Judgement
    Deficiency Judgments
    Name of Department: Canada Mortgage & Housing Corporation
    The program representatives have asked Revenue Canada to recover this debt from my income tax refund /gst that I am entitle to receive. The undersigned name was National Recoveries Centre Ottawa. Is this another tactic to scare me to pay or is this official?
    Also, is there a time limit on which to collect? Or can this keep going. I checked my equifax report last month and there was nothing on there.

I need some guidance please. I have tried all day to contact rev.canada but I am unable to get through the line is always busy. I have also checked on the site "My Account" to see if there was anything flagged on there (nothing). I want to file my returns but now I am hesitant as they will just take it. What should I do?

What is MIF Deficiency Judgments? Is there a time frame for them to do this?
    How do I verify if there is a judgment on me with Rev.Canada?
    Is H & R block able to see if there is a judgment before filing my taxes?
    Thanking you in advance, I await your response.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 11, 2010, 11:53 AM

Mr. Faulkner, I have done a little research to answer your question, not a positively good answer but it will get you where you want to go. CMHC many years ago was completely independent of the government sector, but eventually was absorbed into a government agency. I know this because of having CMHC mortgages over the years. This debt which is the balance after the foreclosure because they need to recoup the entire amount of the original mortgage, that's why it is called a 'deficiency judgment'.

It s perfectly true that RevCan can take your tax refunds for the number of years it takes them to recoup the balance of that mortgage, and no I don't believe H&R Block can tell this is a judgment owing.

I suggest you keep on trying to contact RevCan. This debt doesn't follow regular Statute of Limitations in any given Province. I understand the time limit is 20 years. If they haven't got all their money by then, they can't collect the balance after that.

Experts here who normally answer these real estate law questions are profficient in US laws, not Canadian law.

You could contact a certified tax consultant who would probably give you more information on this issue.

Tick
    Mad as hell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2013, 04:01 PM
    Don't listen to non of these s, they all work for the government and will not tell you how to fight this and help the correct way. You tick..
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 19, 2013, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad as hell View Post
    Don't listen to non of these s, they all work for the government and will not tell you how to fight this and help the correct way. you tick..
    We don't work for the government here. What makes you say that?

So what is the correct way? What would you suggest.

This thread is from last year anyway!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MIF Deficiency Judgments [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings! I used to own a property back in I would say 1991-92 which I had rented out. The tenants didn't pay for months, then I received a letter from the bank stating I can save the property from being sold if I paid X amount of dollars by Xdate. At the time it was too late, and couldn't pay...

MIF Deficiency Judgment [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the statute of limitations on a MIF Deficiency Judgment is in Canada, or if it is regulated by province, Aberta? :confused: Thank You

Iodine deficiency [ 7 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have a quick question. I've read online that an easy way to check for iodine deficiency is to apply iodine to your skin. On 1 website it stated that if the iodine loses it's colour before 4 hours, it means you're iodine deficient, on another it says 6 hours and yet another says 24...

B12 deficiency [ 1 Answers ]

Can a B12 deficiency cause a problem with your thyroid?

View more questions Search