Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GabrielAskme Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2010, 05:42 AM
    Tax question
    I have a variable annuity,non-qualified because the contribution was after tax money or money that was not taxable
    If I leave The USA and become a non resident for tax purposses and later take an early or lump sum distribution, I would not be taxed at all because Non residents are only taxed on their trade or business in the US. Am I correct?
    Also, would the company be required to withhold any amount to send to IRS?
    Thank you so much,

Gabriel
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 13, 2010, 10:37 AM
    Gabriel:

If the variable annuity is funded with AFTER-tax dollars, then you would owe taxes ONLY on any profit or capital gains earned by the investments within the annuity.

If you are outisde of the U.S. when you requested the distribution, and a Form W-8BEN is NOT on file, then the annutiy company would probably withhold 30% to cover any potential tax liability, and you would have to file Form 1040NR to request a refund.
    GabrielAskme Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2010, 10:58 AM
    Comment on AtlantaTaxExpert's post
    Thank you very much..! But then I am correct in thinking that, as a NonUS resident for tax purposses, those earnings within the annuity would not be taxable.. right?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 13, 2010, 11:14 AM
    Yes, that IS my interpretation of general U.S. tax law.

The tax treaty between your country and the U.S. may have differing guidance, so you should review the treaty if one exists.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NY Tax Question [ 1 Answers ]

I have a minor son who did modeling in NY, he has 5 w2's all together and only one of them has NY listed in box 15, for state, the rest have NJ state ID's. Do I have to file NY tax papers for him, because the amount on that W2 in box 17 for State income tax is only 4.00. Or do I have to file all 5...

H4-F1-H1 Tax Question [ 3 Answers ]

I entered US in 1999 on H4 Visa. I changed my status in Dec 2001 to F1 student. My status changed again in Oct 2005 to H1-B. I was on F1 status for less than 5 yrs. So I should be filing for 2005 as a non-resident and filing forms 1040NR-EZ and 8843 only. Is that right? If so, am I eligible for...

Tax Question [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta tax Expert, I saw that you have helped a lot of people here, so hoping that you will help me too. I am originally from India on F1 from October 12th 2000 - to October 21st 2005 (including OPT period) and on H1B since October 21st 2005 to date. SSN and Medicare was withheld for...

Tax question [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've a question. I came to state on 12/8/2001 and last Oct (2005) started my OPT. And from this Jan, I am charged medicare... etc... I worked at school... my employer said I am no longer NRA... since it's more than 5 years... I am wondering if this is correct... is there any regulation...

F1 to GC tax question [ 5 Answers ]

Please advice: 1. year 2003 : Status F1 - filled - 1040 NR EZ 2. Year 2004 : Jan 01 2004 - sept 07 2004 - F1 : Sept 08 2004 - status changed to Permanent Resident. Nationality : Indian Due to too many complications in Dual status filing, I would like to opt to file as...

View more questions Search