Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lovelaw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2010, 08:21 PM
    Reciprocity in weddings-- should a bride be in her bridesmaid's wedding party?
    I got married two and a half years ago. A year before the wedding, I met our best man's girlfriend. After getting to know her, I asked her to be a bridesmaid. Now, we are pretty good friends. She and the best man are getting married soon. The soon-to-be groom has already asked my husband to be best man, but she hasn't asked me to be a bridesmaid. I know that it is totally up to the bride who to ask, but I nevertheless feel that it is a little rude of her not to ask me. Am I wrong for feeling this way? How should I handle being at the wedding but not part of it, especially when my husband is best man?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 11, 2010, 07:21 AM

You are assuming too much, lovelaw. She is not obligated to reciprocate participation for you in her own wedding. She obviously had long time friends that she asked. Please don't take this as a slite, it is isn't mature thinking.

Of course you can be at the wedding and enjoy yourself. Your husband is not going to spend the whole time with the wedding party.

Just go and be happy for them.

Tick
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 11, 2010, 07:53 AM

No there is no rule, and in fact over a few years we often meet and know other people and friends. It is not even to be expected
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2010, 12:37 PM

This is a non-issue. People have sisters, inlaws, cousins, college roomates, high school friends and on and on... we can't ask everyone and it shouldn't be taken as a slight not to be asked, at all!
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Dec 14, 2010, 07:51 PM
    You have only known her 3 1/2 years.

Most likely she picked her bridesmaids and maid of honour long before she met you.

It may very well be that she has only so many she can have. Most likely it isn't that she wouldn't have loved to have you as a bridesmaid, but the plans were made long ago.

I wouldn't take it as a slight in any way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does the flower girl have to wear same color as bride in a traditional wedding? [ 8 Answers ]

In a traditional wedding, does the flower girl have to wear the same color as the bride?

Filipino bride/wedding scam? [ 41 Answers ]

Met her online, wedding is being planned she says, wants 2k to pay for it, I'm going June 3 for 3 weeks to marry and be with her, she claims she can't come here for a year after we marry due to paperwork involved, am I being scammed? She claims poverty, works 12 hr days, has parents married 38...

Bahamas wedding formal Mother of Bride Groom [ 1 Answers ]

I will be attending a wedding in August. Formal attire required. What is appropriate attire for the mother of the groom?

What to wear to Caribean wedding for the mother-of-the-bride? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Please help!! My daughter is getting married in the Caribbean next month. What would be appropriate attire? The wedding will be in a gazebo near the beach. 80's degree F temperate. What do ladies wear in the Caribbean islands? I'm a 50's something, average height and size. I've been told...

View more questions Search