Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenny002 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Friend inviting a other friends on a vacation
    I am going to a Family girls reunion weekend for my husband's family and have asked my long time friend to come with me. She is excited to go because she joined me last year and it was fun. This year she wants mutual friends to come with us as well. I feel uncomfortable bringing a whole "entorage" with me but since my friend is closer with these other friends than me I am finding it hard to tell her without insulting her that I don't want these extra friends to come along. Besides they are usually the type of friends who sit in the corner and do not socialize with people they don't know.
    What should I do?
    Thank you in advance for your help
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 9, 2007, 07:32 AM
    It is not proper for her to invite others on "your" trip.

A family reunion is not a group party in which a lot of strangers come in. ( unless that is how your family does it)
    ghost56 Posts: 283, Reputation: 26

Feb 27, 2007, 11:11 AM
    I would simply say, I'm sorry but it is a family occasion and I don't want to take lots of people. It uis not insulting, she shouldn't have put you in that position in the first place.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2007, 08:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost56
    I would simply say, i'm sorry but it is a family occasion and i don't want to take lots of people. It uis not insulting, she shouldn't have put you in that position in the first place.
    The only problem I can see with this is that the original poster is taking a non-family member to the family reunion. It's hard, logically, to see why two outsiders is bad if one is OK.

Also, I do have to wonder if the original poster isn't violating some etiquette rules by inviting the friend in the first place. Is this strictly a family event? Does it have formal invitations? And, if it did, did hers say "with guest", or is she upsetting the family by having someone tag along?

There's a lot more I'd have to know before I could say that the friend is doing anything but following the original poster's example.
    leslieg Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Feb 27, 2007, 09:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny002
    I am going to a Family girls reunion weekend for my husband's family and have asked my long time friend to come with me. She is excited to go because she joined me last year and it was fun. This year she wants mutual friends to come with us as well. I feel uncomfortable bringing a whole "entorage" with me but since my friend is closer with these other friends than me I am finding it hard to tell her without insulting her that I don't want these extra friends to come along. Besides they are usually the type of friends who sit in the corner and do not socialize with people they don't know.
    What should I do??
    Thank you in advance for your help
    Be true to yourself. If she is a friend she will understand. Tell her with love. Others before me have given you good advise. She should not have asked to bring other friends as others replied. She did put you in a position that was unfair, but she did ask and so a response is called for. Ghost 56 did hit the nail on the head. Keep it simple and enjoy your reunion, it is your time, make it a good one. If your friend doesn't understand perhaps it's time to rethink the quality of that friendship. ENOY THE REUNION.
    ghost56 Posts: 283, Reputation: 26

Feb 28, 2007, 04:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7
    The only problem I can see with this is that the original poster is taking a non-family member to the family reunion. It's hard, logically, to see why two outsiders is bad if one is ok.

Also, I do have to wonder if the original poster isn't violating some etiquette rules by inviting the friend in the first place. Is this strictly a family event? Does it have formal invitations? And, if it did, did hers say "with guest", or is she upsetting the family by having someone tag along?

There's a lot more I'd have to know before I could say that the friend is doing anything but following the original poster's example.

I appreciate your response and to a certain degree agree with you, but I am going off, the friend asking to bring more people, that is going too far, what if those friends asked if they could bring friends, where do you draw the line.
    leslieg Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Feb 28, 2007, 05:12 AM
    Must leave for work, so cannot respond till tonight. You are complicating the issue. It does not matter what another did. There is what is appropriate and what is not. You can tell her the truth that "this is a Family Reunion and that the only reason you invited her is you consider her family (if you do) and your not sure, but you might be bending the rules a little even with her. Anything else would not be not be right and you are not comfortable with bringing anyone else as you don't consider them FAMILY"

If you do not feel your friend is like family and you believe it should be only family maybe you need to rethink her coming along and you might need to tell her you made a mistake and you so apologize. You thought it would be okay but it is not. You can ask other family members how they feel and then let her know they are not comfortable with it or relay to your friend the general family sentiment RECENTLY told you.

Again, be true to yourself, honest with yourself and others, and whatever you do, do it with love. You seem to know what the guidelines are and you just need to state them from a good place. You will think this thing to death if you allow yourself . Keep it simple, make a decision you can live with, institute your decision, LET IT GO, and go enjoy yourself.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Mar 4, 2007, 10:40 PM
    Tell her that you only feel comfortable inviting her, but if she'd rather take a trip with the whole group, perhaps you can do that another time. If she doesn't get the hint,you might just have to be more blunt but she is taking advantage. And, her focus should be enjoying and strengthening her friendship with you, not taking closer "back up" friends in case you aren't entertainment enough. She's not treating you as she should.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Favorite vacation [ 16 Answers ]

What was your favorite vacation? Why? Would you go there again? For myself, I'm not sure what was my fav, but I used to live in Hawaii, so it was like being on vacation every weekend. I still enjoy visiting there. The reasons are: the people, the weather, the food, the outdoor lifestyle, the...

Vacation pay [ 1 Answers ]

I recently resigned from one company to start at a new company. The company I left is saying that I owe them for vacation time I took, but the way I earned vacation time, at .83 days per month. I had not worked enough days to cover the vacation time I took back in July. The question I have is it...

I need a vacation! [ 2 Answers ]

I have some vacation time I can use, and I haven't been on a real vacation in about six years. I was thinking about a cruise just a short one, not too expensive. Any ideas. I will most likely have to go alone, so any tips on the that would be helpful as well. How much should it cost, what...

Canceling vacation [ 2 Answers ]

I put a deposit down on a cottage with a real estate agent .I tried to cancel 6 weeks before my vacation but was told I would only get my deposit back unless myself or the real estate agent found another person to rent those 2 weeks .my lease does not have a cancellation clause in it .my fault for...

Girlfriend best friend is a guy,one of my close friends [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem with my friend. He has a girlfriend who is best friends with my girlfriend.And... My girlfriend helps my friend out all the time... but I'm worried that they will fall for each other and will start their own relationship. I told my friend how I felt about this but he says she's the...

View more questions Search