Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jan 12, 2007, 05:23 PM
    Yes that's normal. You need to change it to be higher than that of Internet1. Higher metric means less preferred.

Also to answer your question about how to back it up... I recall on my WRT54GL there was an option to backup your configuration... oh... wait... I think it was just the configuration not the actual firmware. Never mind and sorry to send you on a wild goose chase. Anyway, it looks like the 1.04 image was a rogue from all the reading I've done so you might be better off with the 1.01. This is also a fairly new router so with patience you may luck out and a release of dd-wrt would be available for it.

Casey
    LethPhaos Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2007, 01:48 AM
    Thanks, but isn't 2 (manually set on nic2) bigger then 1 (default on nic1) :p
    I wouldn't want to make my internet slower offcourse

EDIT: when I set both manually, e.g. 1 for nic1 and 2 for nic2 the speed stays good
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jan 13, 2007, 05:17 PM
    I would have thought that 2 would be less preferred than the default of 1. I haven't tried this on windows (metrics are not exclusive to windows by the way) but I suspect what happened was that since one was manually set and the other automatic that it is possible that windows would "automatically" set the Internet1 to be less preferred (higher) than the statically assigned. You might want to check just for the heck of it. But since you manually set both at this point and it works then I think you're all set.

You could test to see if windows behaves like all other OSes by disconnecting from your PC the Internet1 cable and see if it switches to Internet2.

Now that all is well (I think) I'm wondering why Internet2 is slow. It shouldn't be. Based on the connectivity you've described I would think that Internet1 and Internet2 should be the same. Unless of course your ISP provides you with better than 10Mbps Ethernet.

Casey
    LethPhaos Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2007, 10:10 AM
    Yes indeed, both internet1 and internet2 should be exactly the same, and when I'm connected only on network2 and get internet this way, it isn't slower. Only in combination with a manual metric of 2 and a default metric of 1 it slows down a lot, weird.

When both metrics are set manually, e.g. "1" and "2", and when I unplug network1, widows behaves normally, e.g. I get internet from the there network after +/- 3seconds.

Thanks for your helping hands all who replied ^^

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to print multiple letters at a time [ 9 Answers ]

I want to print RETURN ADDRESSES ONLY on 50 envelopes using MS Word 2003. The return address is stored. I go to TOOLS | LETTER AND MAILINGS | ENVELOPES AND LABELS and hit print. But I don't want to print my return addresses one at a time. There is no option on there to print a specific...

Link multiple networks that each have a separate internet connection [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my network configeration is as follows: (Network 1): Router (connects my PC to the internet), Switch (Router is pluged into one of the ports, the other ports are open for pc's to plug in and have access to the internet), One PC that is pluged into the second port of the Switch (the rest of...

Connecting two networks [ 3 Answers ]

I need to connect two existing networks together. Currently there is a main network that has 15 computers and 2 servers with a high speed internet connection and static IPs. Second network has 6 computers and 1 server also with high speed internet and static IP. Currently second network connects...

2 Networks 1 PC [ 13 Answers ]

Hi - I'm wanting to connect my girlfriend's laptop to my home network (so we can share files and she can access my printer) but this is already configured to be on her company network. Is there an easy way for me to configure her laptop so she can access my network when at home (as well as work...

Connecting to 2 networks at once [ 9 Answers ]

My home network has the following hardware: * IBM T42P ThinkPad laptop running XP Pro * Desktop Pentium 4 PC (clone) running XP Pro * HP Media Center PC * HP LaserJet 3030 printer/copier/fax/scanner connected to the desktop PC through the parallel port with printer sharing enabled * RCA...

View more questions Search