Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    susus Posts: 138, Reputation: 2

Dec 10, 2010, 11:33 AM
    3 Masses
    M1 is a spherical mass (43.8 kg) at the origin. M2 is also a spherical mass (15.4 kg) and is located on the x-axis at x = 57.0 m. At what value of x would a third mass with a 11.0 kg mass experience no net gravitational force due to M1 and M2?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 10, 2010, 12:37 PM

Set the forces for gravitational attraction for a mass at distance x from the origin to be equal and opposite. At this point the 3rd mass is x meters from mass M1, and (57-x) meters from mass M2. So:

Note that the mass M_3 cancels out, so its value doesn't matter. Now solve for x.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2010, 01:57 AM

I thought you had it solved? You could have posted that you didn't understand something :(

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/physic...aw-532845.html
    susus Posts: 138, Reputation: 2

Dec 11, 2010, 07:45 AM
    Comment on Unknown008's post
    Sorry I just copied and paste it , without knowing or noticing that this is the question I posted..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sliding masses [ 13 Answers ]

The three blocks shown are relased at t=0 from the position shown in the figure. Assume that there is no friction between the table and M2, and that the two pulleys are massless and frictionless. The masses are: M1 = 3.0 kg, M2 = 7.0 kg, M3 = 5.0 kg. ...

Stoichiometry- molar masses [ 1 Answers ]

methanol was made in lab. Equation- CO + 2H2 giving one mol of CH3OH. A. how many grams of methanol would be produced in complete reaction. The answer is 40.3g. The reaction used 35.4g carbon monoxide and 10.2g hydrogen. I'm not sure what to do but I thought that I would find the number of moles...

Force of gravity between two masses [ 1 Answers ]

A force of gravity exists between two masses. How is the initial force of gravity (F1) affected if the separation distance between them is modified in the following ways to yield a new force of gravity (F2)? (a) The separation distance is doubled (i.e. increased by a factor of 2). F2 / F1 = ? ...

Tension - Two Masses [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please help me to understand this problem? Two 100-N weights are attached to a scale as shown. What is the reading on the scale? (I have attached the picture) The correct answer is 100N but I do not understand why it is not 200N.

View more questions Search