Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharper11 Posts: 369, Reputation: 102

Dec 9, 2010, 10:30 PM
    Patsy2
    I drained my hot water heater today on recommendation from our home inspector. (Just moved in). I followed instruction given here and drained it. Afterwards, everything seemed fine. The hot water pressure in the kitchen was pretty low, so I turned the valve under the sink to see if was not open all of the way. . Then ALL of the water pressure in the entire house was lost. I am baffled. I check the HOT water heater to make sure the valve was open. It was.

Could the pipes be frozen? The water has a very slight drip... to be honest, I have no clue (first time home owner here)

**update**

I went to the bathroom, turned on the tub.. . It had pressure. I let it run. I check the aerators in the bathrooms, clogged. . And now they work. Did the same for every spicket. NOW the kitchen is the only room without pressure. (any clues)

And also, the water is "rusty" colored. Is this normal.. will it go away?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2010, 12:26 AM

The valve or cartridge in kitchen sink is clogged. Needs to be removed and cleaned or replaced.

Did u drain water heater until water ran clear? U are picking up sediment stirred up by draining. This will clear in time but may clog other faucets again.

Chuck
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 10, 2010, 05:18 AM

I drained my hot water heater today. I followed instruction given here and drained it.
    You didn't follow our instructions and that's where you made your mistake. To clear a water heater of mineral buildup you power flush your heater.
    Here's the correction instructions.

For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by FLUSHING NOT DRAINING on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white or yellow grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures that are affected . Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back together the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my answer, Tom

Dec 10, 2010, 05:54 AM
    Yeah speedball, you are correct. I didn't follow the correct instructions :/ I was in a panic last night. This morning, all is fine except for the clogged kitchen sink. You say "flush all hot waterlines," is there a method to that.

Funny, I drained it until it was empty ;) . I should have -flushed- it until it ran clear. But you are right. I think my dip tube went bad (it's a 95 waterheater). I think it is cloggin everything. This is assumed from what I read though :)
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 10, 2010, 06:02 AM

If they're working you don't have to flush the lines out. We can help[ with the kitchen faucet but we need more information. Ism the faucet one handled or two knobs. What brand is it? Back to you, Tom

Dec 10, 2010, 06:10 AM

It's MOEN. 1 handle. Picture should be there (I hope)
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 10, 2010, 06:22 AM

Your picture didn't make it, Is this your faucet? (see image).
    Shut the water off under the sink and open up the valve. Pull the cartridge and check the inlet ports for trash. Now place a pan over the open valve and turn the hot water on to flush out the supply. Reassemble and test. Better now? Cheers, Tom
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf 7310 Deck Faucet.pdf (146.4 KB, 345 views)

Dec 10, 2010, 06:31 AM
    Comment on speedball1's post
    I'll give this a go after work tonight. (that image is pretty close to my faucet)

Dec 10, 2010, 04:46 PM
    Comment on speedball1's post
    What can I say speedball... you are the man. Worked perfectly, MANY THANKS!! (we have our housewarming Sunday, and you bailed me out).
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 14, 2011, 06:34 PM

Bump

Apr 15, 2011, 06:08 AM
    Just to follow up on this. After Power Flushing the Water Heater and clearing all of the aerators again, everything was fine (other than the lack of hot water time). We have since replaced the Water Heater. Everything is AWESOME Now. .

As far as maintenance on the New Water Heater:
    It has an electronic temp. gauge. And I have it wrapped in insulation.

Should I be Power Flushing it? How Frequently?
    Any other advice would be nice.

By the way, thanks for all of the advice.

Apr 15, 2011, 06:14 AM
    Comment on sharper11's post
    The Faucet has been replaced also. Thanks to you all, I have a little more confidence to go in a do basic plumbing installs. Besides the faucet, I have replaced all of our gate valves with ball valves (washer/dryer had gate valves for each Hot/Cold water... not sure why, I installed a Ball Valve that includes both, I can turn them on/off with one little push of a lever). I have installed a Garbage Disposal and have a "looped" hose from the Dishwasher to the Disposal instead of an AirGap. Been pretty excited doing some minor DIY. :)
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 15, 2011, 07:28 AM

Power flush twice a year at a minimum. Here, just attach a hose to the drain at the base of the water heater and open the drain (leaving water on full flow).

By leaving the water on, the dip tube directs full pressure at the base of the tank disturbing sediment and helping to push it all out the drain.

After the power flush... say 5 minutes or so, you will want to CAP the drain at the water heater using a boiler drain cap (brass one is best) as sediment usually gets stuck in the drain mechanism and can leave the drain valve dripping.

You'll also want to purge the hot water from the closest faucet after the flush but be sure to remove the AERATOR before doing so to keep that aerator clean, OK?

Good luck with it all!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Low hot water pressure through the whole house even ater replacing water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I'm still experiencing low hot water pressure even after replacing the water heater. When you first turn on the faucets the pressure will be fine but within a few seconds it drops again.

I have very low hot water pressure from my hot water heafrom an electric water heater [ 0 Answers ]

I have very low water pressure from my hot water heater. I can't find anything wrong.. any ideas?

Does is matter which hot water heater I buy to get mazimize hot water pressure? [ 8 Answers ]

Need advice in choosing new hot water heater to maximize hot water pressure. Plumber installed new intake/&out copper pipes, new coldwater cut off valve, new line to humidifer, correctly switched hot and cold lines to water heater, flushed - and still hot water pressure is low all over the house....

Replced Hot Water Heater - Low pressure in some places in house [ 1 Answers ]

I just changed out my hot water heater yesterday and have low pressure (hot and cold) in one bathroom and an outside outlet. The bathroom had low pressure in comparison with the other bathroom for quite some time but now can hardly fill the pipes for a shower. The outside has never had any issues....

View more questions Search