Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kcone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2010, 09:06 PM
    Can a lawyer give out info on a case to someone not involved.
    My friend went to see a lawyer after his home burned down and people were stealing things from the property. The lawyer was asking him questions and my name came up as his girlfriend. The lawyer then told him about a case that had my name in it as one of the defendants and gave him details of this case. I had not received any notification at the time. Is it legal for the lawyer to give that info out to someone not involved with the case.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 10, 2010, 02:17 PM

Most cases before the courts are a matter of public record. So him saying something about it has no bearing. The only time it crosses the line is when attorney client privalage is involved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I give birth to a baby and give it away without my info on the birth certificate? [ 9 Answers ]

Im married and pregnant by someone else I do not want my name on the child's birth certificate

When and how do I contact the lawyer that will be asigned to my shoplifting case? [ 2 Answers ]

I was cought shoplifting at a Simons store. Security called the police and they sent me home with acitation to court. Simon's then sent me a letter from its lawyers demanding a 450$ fee for costs of security and the troubles caused, etc. I was planning to pay it but I been reading wherever I find...

Court case info [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there I am researching admissibility of scientific evidence into court. I need info on specific cases involving fingerprint evidence, blood pattern evidence and DNA evidence. I must have the info from legal documents or scientific papers or I can't use and reference them. Can anyone tell me...

Landlord's lawyer says we have no case and we are not getting any money back [ 3 Answers ]

This is a month to month lease in New York. During October ,Nov and Dec. landlord refuses to fix heat and there was NO heat throughout house with numerous notifications. We thought he would fix it but instead right before Christmas tells us either we fix it or get out. The boiler man says the...

View more questions Search