Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2010, 02:30 PM
    Wikileaks and Afghanistan
    Perhaps nothing has made the situation in Afghanistan more telling than Wikileaks and this particular piece even more telling
    Rudd: 'Scared as hell'

What is described here however briefly is the stuff of legend, allies who have very bad views of each others efforts and a view that irrespective of how up the US assessments are, we are all wasting our time, personel and money. Nothing new in that
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2010, 03:03 PM

Hello clete:

Isn't it better to KNOW the war is lost? Having been so informed, maybe we can prevent further devastation and loss of life.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2010, 03:32 PM

Afghanistan scares the hell out of me too . What scares me worse is abandoning the effort. I would not respect a politician that was not deeply concerned about sending troops into battle .

But this stupid leak does nothing to addresss Rudd's comittment despite his concerns. It is a junk leak that is meaningless and adds nothing to the debate.

What the leak really reveals is Rudd's concern about some countries in NATOs commitment to the effort . But that was cherry picked out of the link. He is quoted as saying the US, Canada, UK, Australia and the Dutch were doing the "hard stuff", while France and Germany were "organising folk-dancing festivals".

I would also point out that this is old news out of content . The new reality is the surge approved by President Obama ,led by General Petraeus. . I would argue that the only reason Assange cherry picked this doc is to infuence an outcome he desires. In other words... he plays politics while he argues for transparency. He's a propagandist.
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2010, 03:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Afghanistan scares the hell out of me too . What scares me worse is abandoning the effort.
    Hello again, tom:

George W. Bush LOST Afghanistan when he took his eye off the ball, and invaded Iraq. You cannot IGNORE wars. Doing so, HAS consequences. IF it was EVER winnable, that time has long passed.

excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2010, 04:04 PM
    What these leaks show up is the cr*p we all know we have been fed. We know Afghanistan isn't winnable, if it were the US steamroller would have rolled over the place by now and paved it with concrete. But then, we knew it wasn't winnable from the start, the Russians and history had already proven that. We got the best we could hope to do, removing OBL and now we should wrap it up and go do something else, if nothing more than give the troops a well earned rest.
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2010, 06:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello clete:

Isn't it better to KNOW the war is lost? Having been so informed, maybe we can prevent further devastation and loss of life.

excon
    If that is so Ex why hasn't it stopped? No we go on supporting a narco-regime while calling it nation building and preventing terrorism. I cannot understand why, if the US has a war on drugs, the poppy fields in Afghanistan are left to flourish.
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2010, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    If that is so Ex why hasn't it stopped?
    Hello again, clete:

Because we're slow on the uptake.. You mentioned Vietnam... That war was lost in 1968, if not before, but it took us until 1975 to get it.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2010, 07:00 PM

No it was lost in 1975 when the US Congress decided to renage on a commitment to a free country being attacked by a Communist dictatorship.

Yes the Diem's... ooops I mean the Karzai's need to be addressed . My suggestion ,next time don't have the UN monitor the elections.
    But as bad as they are ,a return to the Taliban tyranny would be much worse ,a truly shameful outcome.
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2010, 10:26 PM
    Hello again, clete:

Because we're slow on the uptake.. You mentioned Vietnam... That war was lost in 1968, if not before, but it took us until 1975 to get it.

excon
    Ex you are dreaming again, I didn't say Vietnam, Ssshhhhhh! But the similarities are remarkable, aren't they. The Afghanistan war was lost in 2001 at Tora Bora and why? Because the US relied on its "allies", the local people.

It is unfortunate that the US has'nt got it yet, but then the casualty list isn't as large as Vietnam, but what you need to do now is avoid a rout. I know you think it couldn't happen, again, but history is against you. A rag, tag group of towel heads just might chase your superior arms out of their country by refusing to fight the war the way you would like. Never mind, you can sit in your armchairs and take potshots at them with your drones.
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2010, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    I cannot understand why, if the US has a war on drugs, the poppy fields in Afghanistan are left to flourish.
    Hello again, clete:

Because the war on drugs is REALLY Jim Crow disguised. It's not meant to eliminate drugs. It's meant to increase police power and keep the races in check.

If we REALLY had a war on drugs, the CIA wouldn't have ferried cocaine for the cartels. But they did. If we REALLY had a war on drugs, we wouldn't let the cops KEEP the money they find. If we REALLY had a war on drugs, we would destroy the Afghan poppy's, that absolutely WILL wind up on American streets as heroine.

But, we don't care about drugs... It's the colored people...

excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2010, 01:54 PM
    Hello again, clete:

Because the war on drugs is REALLY Jim Crow disguised. It's not meant to eliminate drugs. It's meant to increase police power and keep the races in check.

If we REALLY had a war on drugs, the CIA wouldn't have ferried cocaine for the cartels. But they did. If we REALLY had a war on drugs, we wouldn't let the cops KEEP the money they find. If we REALLY had a war on drugs, we would destroy the Afghan poppy's, that absolutely WILL wind up on American streets as heroine.

But, we don't care about drugs... It's the colored people....

excon
    What's this Ex white people don't use and distribute drugs? I think you have been smoking silly weed again. Next thing you will be telling me is the war on drugs is really a CIA plot to conquer Latin America and they invented Al Qaeda to conquer Afghanistan. Well you might be right, who knows what plots Langley would hatch

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wikileaks get up close and personal [ 11 Answers ]

Mark Arbib Is A Confidential Contact Of US Embassy | WikiLeaks Interesting revelation here which taken to its logical conclusion could show that the US was actively involved in the ousting of Kevin Rudd as Australian Prime Minister. Wikileaks hasn't been favourable to Rudd in recent days but has...

Another interesting take on Afghanistan [ 13 Answers ]

Digger's email: Army failing frontline troops | I think the most telling comment in this story is the assertion that the military is too afraid of collateral damage to give adequate fire support. In such conditions, you have to ask what is the point, who are these soldiers helping? To control...

An interesting take on Afghanistan [ 2 Answers ]

And this time please don't shoot the messenger Bringing Our Democracy to Afghanistan American Everyman

Wikileaks [ 38 Answers ]

Wikileaks, good or bad? If you ask me the guy is just after attention for himself, a self-serving publicity hog who in his own words, says "I enjoy crushing bastards." Who else does he like to crush, the 100's of informants working with us whose identity he leaked and put in grave danger?

Afghanistan [ 26 Answers ]

Let's say we were to go ahead with the Democrats idea of moving 150,000 troops from Iraq to fight in Afghanistan . Then we lose Pakistan's cooperation in the effort . Afghanistan is land locked with Pakistan and Iran owning the direct routes from the nearest ocean . Currently 75 percent of all...

View more questions Search