Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chipper1950 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2010, 10:02 AM
    Define abandoned - landlord has right of access if premises abandoned KRS 383.615
    Lease requires tenant to notify landlord or its representatives if not occupying the premises for more than 1 week (e.g. vacation). Tenant has not been seen for more than 2 weeks. In KY, KRS 383.615 allows landlord access if tenant abandons or surrenders the premises. What defines abandon in Kentucky, specifically Jessamine County? Can action be taken if abandoned, other than going through the eviction process in the local district court?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 10, 2010, 06:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chipper1950 View Post
    Lease requires tenant to notify landlord or its representatives if not occupying the premises for more than 1 week (e.g., vacation). ...
    Note that this lease provision is specifically authorized by section 620, immediately following the section you cited.

... What defines abandon in Kentucky, specifically Jessamine County? ...
    I don't see a definition in Kentucky's Uniform Residential Landlord and Tenant Act (sections 200 and following). I think you have a very good argument that failure to follow the 7 day notice provision in the lease creates a presumption of abandonment.

... Can action be taken if abandoned, other than going through the eviction process in the local district court?
    Abandonment, and it seems that the tenant probably has abandoned the premises, would make eviction unnecessary, wouldn't it? And as discussed above, abandonment seems to have occurred. Section 620 and the lease provision seem to give you at least the right to enter the premises. When you have done so you will possibly have a better idea whether the tenant has in fact abandoned the premises.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 10, 2010, 06:57 PM

First question, is the tenant paid up in their rent? If they are then I would tread very lightly here. You might take a look in the unit. But if the tenant's belongings are still there I would back out immediately.

However, if they are behind in their rent, then you may be able to use that clause to avoid going through the eviction process.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2010, 09:30 PM

I doubt that the court will consider it abandoned if the rent is paid and the utilities are paid and on.

My attorney ( in TN, MO and GA) always advised me to file an eviction as if they were still living there, to protect me from removing their property without court order
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 11, 2010, 09:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    First question, is the tenant paid up in their rent? If they are then I would tread very lightly here. You might take a look in the unit. But if the tenant's belongings are still there I would back out immediately.

However, if they are behind in their rent, then you may be able to use that clause to avoid going through the eviction process.
    My notion of abandoned is the following:

• rent not paid and past-due;
    • belongings gone; and
    • tenant absent for more than a week.

If all of these things don't apply, do as ScottGemm suggests, back out, and sue to evict.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abandoned in GA [ 10 Answers ]

My husband just walked out on me & my 21 month son. I'm a stay-at-home mom and have been out of the work force for almost 7 years. He is threatening cut me off financially leaving me with all the household bills & responsibilities. Does this constitute abandonment & how long does he have to be...

Abandoned property [ 1 Answers ]

I have allowed my ex mother in law to store her personal belongings in my garage. I allowed her to use my garage starting in May of this year, and I have told her on more than one occasion these past two months or so that she needs to remove her property from my garage. She has not done so, and she...

Father abandoned? [ 2 Answers ]

I am presently married and my daughters possible biological dad has came into the pic after she is 11 yrs old. He has not contacted me until now and was incarcerated when she was born. My daughter has my husbands last name and he also signed birth certifacate. Do I have any rights as to not wanting...

Abandoned homes [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find abandoned homes in my area

Pregnant and abandoned [ 4 Answers ]

I guess no one knows where to begin when telling strangers your problems but since we cant; be seen it's kind of strange to feel like you can open up.. my situation turns to the worse evey time I think about it. Recently divorced and started a "relationship" that I thought would last "for ever"......

View more questions Search