Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    toby0011 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2010, 08:48 PM
    Claiming inherentance when getting divorce
    How does the law work when getting a divorce when things such as boat and four wheelers that only has one name on it? Can one now claim inheretance?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 8, 2010, 09:03 PM

Inheretance ? Who died, your family member or your soon to be X's family.

What state is this located at ( if US)
    Just_Another_Lemming Posts: 437, Reputation: 211

Dec 9, 2010, 06:06 AM

If you are divorced from your spouse, you are no longer in a position to claim an inheritance if he/she dies. If there is a will and you are specifically left something by the divorced spouse, well then, lucky you. If you aren't divorced yet and are interested in sole possession of these material things you have mentioned, the titles need to be changed into your name if the soon to be ex is willing to do so, or the items can be sold and the money split between the two of you as part of the marital assets.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claiming child with other parent claiming child care expenses? [ 2 Answers ]

My son spent half the year in California with his father, and half the year in Texas with me. I will be claiming him as a dependent on my 2009 taxes, however I was wondering if it is still possible for his father to claim the child care expenses he incurred in California to make up some of the cost?

What is the difference in take home between claiming 0 and claiming 3 [ 1 Answers ]

Single earner; Married; no children; gross take home 77K; currently claiming 0; have been advised I can claim up to 3 given mortgage insurance and medical out of pocket. Looking to increase spendable income without having to owe the government in 2010 for 2009 taxes

Claiming children in a divorce [ 2 Answers ]

I have physical custody of my children through my divorce decree but my exspouse has claimed on of the children on her taxes even though she pays no child support (even though I have an Attorny General Case against her) and the children lived with me the entire year last year. What steps can I...

Filing 4 divorce but reconcile then divorce @ a later time - dividing the property [ 18 Answers ]

I never heard of this before but my friend filed for divorce in 89 but reconciled a few months later. Flash forward 20 yrs & she decides to divorce him again. She went back for the kids & tried to make it work. However, when she went 4 this divorce she was told that they could divide the property...

View more questions Search