Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    veerendra Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 08:57 PM
    Tax credit for paying wife's tution (who is on H4)
    Hi All,
    - I am on H1B and my wife on H4.
    - I have been working in the state of Illinois from Nov 2004, so I have filled my taxes for year 2004 & 2005.
    - I have paid my wife's tuition for here college (M.S degree) in 2005 & I have also paid his year. (she is still on H4 visa)

Would I be considered a resident alien & could I get tax benefits for paying for my wife's higher education ? If I am a non-resident alien, would I get tax benefits?

Please advice on claiming appropriate tax benefits

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 9, 2007, 01:09 AM
    You would NOT get the education credit if you filed as a non-resident alien.

However, based on what you have told me, you and your wife should file as resident aliens for 2005 and 2006, which means you CAN claim the education credits or deductions.

If you need my help professionally to file these returns, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help me compute US tax liaibility after foreign tax credit [ 2 Answers ]

:eek: A us company Frank expand with a new co (Ana) formation into a foreign host company with a 20% tax on corporate income within its borders. At the end of its fourth yr of operations the foreign corp Ana distributes $100,000 to Frank from its earning and progits previously taxes by the host...

Does wife's credit affect mine? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife has $5880 in credit card debt that has been turned over to collections. Do I have to worry about the debt affecting my credit? Will a judgement affect me? How likely is it that the company will sue? Can the company go after our joint checking account? How about a joint CD? I live in...

When Paying Off Credit Card.. [ 6 Answers ]

Can I bargain when paying off credit card w/out damaging my credit? I currently hold a balance of $5000 each on two separate cards. $2000 each of which is actually purchase fees, the rest is accrued interest. Can I bargain with the cardholders to pay a lower amount without hurting my credit? Any...

F1 to H1 and Tution Credit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a NR for tax purposes (1040NR or NR EZ), so can I claim credit for tution fees that I paid in 2005? Thanks.

Paying Off A Spouses Credit Debts [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know something about paying off debts that a spouse made that one didn't know about and did not sign for her to get. The spouse died and the creditors are trying to make me pay for the debts that she made before she died that I didn't find out about until after her death. I...

View more questions Search