Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rugbydemon Posts: 4, Reputation: 3

Dec 7, 2010, 07:24 PM
    Why do the american people like the president more than the congress?
    Currently obamas ratings are around 45 to 50% approval. Compared to congress which is around 20 to 30 % why is this? Why do the people trust the president more than congress or why do they like the president more than congress?

My understanding of presidents past would be that the american people would not trust new presidents after the watergate scandel but the polls state other wise?

Your thoughts?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 7, 2010, 07:39 PM

Most voting Americans could not even tell you what watergate was, except for perhaps shredding of documents and some issue Nixon had. And the public view the president as a leader wanting a new direction, But also for Obama, there is a race issue, that many people support him because he is black.
    I know many people who do not even wish to discuss his beliefs, if you disagree with him they call you a racist.

After that, most Americans have come to realise that the President does not have the ability to make or change any laws, it is congress that does this
    Blackula Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Dec 7, 2010, 09:20 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Ouch! That's a pretty heavy-handed indictment of the American people.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2010, 07:00 AM

But pretty much right on. If not for "political correctness" I seriously doubt Obama would have gotten elected. He has played the race card throughout his political career. Only now as President people are starting to see how hollow a shell he is.
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Dec 10, 2010, 04:24 AM

I don't know anyone that trusts the POTUS more than Congress. Frankly neither one has done a good job of bringing the economy back to life. Both sides on Congress have demonstrated that they are above the laws that we must live by, and have spent this great nation into near bankruptcy. We are going down the same path that destroyed the Roman Empire and Greece. We the people have got to get more involved in holding our elected officials accountable.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 10, 2010, 10:32 AM

It has nothing to do with Obama's race, or his personality, or whatever. The US president ALWAYS has a higher rating than Congress, no matter who he is. This was true under George W Bush, regardless of whether Congress was Republican or Democrat. And it was true of Clinton, again regardless of whether it was a Republican or Democrat congress. It was even true when Nixon was in office, right up until the day he resigned. The President always gets a higher rating because he has a well-known face, and people have heard him speak. He also gets enough TV coverage that he actually has a chance to make a case for his policies, as opposed to Congress which by its nature as a collective of hundreds of individuals can not make a coherent argument for anything. Also, over 50% of the voters actually voted for the president, so they have a predisposition to support him. Compare that with Congress - maybe you voted for three of them (1 rep + 2 senators), but the rest are just a nameless mob to you, so you are less likely to give them the benefit of the doubt. Hence they get a lower rating as a group. That's why in most polls people rate their own congressman and senators quite highly - usually higher than the president - but rate congress as a whole quite low.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

. If there is collision between the president and Congress, can Congress restrain the [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help on this topic? I have to find all the information I can on this, so I can write a 2 to 4 page essay about. Thanks!

Congress vs President [ 8 Answers ]

What would be the advantages and disadvantages to Congress having more power than the President?

President vs. Congress [ 9 Answers ]

Which has more power, The President or Congress? And why? This is urgent by the way!! :] Thanks! <3

President vs. Congress [ 0 Answers ]

Should the President or Congress lead the country? Why? Is it possible to have both lead at the same time? If yes, how? If no, why not?

View more questions Search