Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

Dec 7, 2010, 12:54 PM
    Lost title/Transfer of vehicle ownership
    Hello all!

My boyfriend has this truck that he traded with another guy for his previous vehicle. He still has the registration for his previous vehicle, and the titles for the vehicles have never been traded. There is a bill of sale. The problem is, both of the guys live in WA state, and my bf's truck is registered in California. The guy that traded him was not the title holder.

My boyfriend wants to sell the truck, but he doesn't have any of the paperwork and has to go through CA to take care of it.

Any suggestions on the process or what he should do?

Thanks!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 7, 2010, 01:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar714 View Post
    The guy that traded him was not the title holder.

My bf wants to sell the truck, but he doesn't have any of the paperwork and has to go through CA to take care of it.
    Who is the title holder of the truck? If someone else has the title then the truck belongs to that other person, not your BF. Your BF has traded away his previous vehicle in exchange for nothing. Now he can do one of two things:

a) Find out who the titleholder in CA is and have that person sign the title over to him. Once your BF has the title he can register the truck in WA. Or,
    b) undo the deal. Since your BF still has the title to the vehicle he traded away, he is still the owner of it and he should go back to the other guy and "trade back" for his old vehicle.
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

Dec 7, 2010, 01:54 PM

That's what I told him. He's not very smart when it comes to stuff like this. He doesn't think when he wants something impulsively.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Transfer of ownership of the house [ 1 Answers ]

6 of us partners bought 3 houses under an umbrella LLC. Now, that 2 of us want to split from the company. We are going to get a house. Do we just need a title transfer or do we have to go through all the closing costs?

How do I transfer title of a vehicle I am the legal owner of? [ 2 Answers ]

I have possession of a vehicle in California that I need to sell. I am the legal owner, and the registered owner told me I can sell the vehicle on his behalf. He is currentlly in county jail and needs the money to make bail. He can't sign the transfer papers... this is my problem... any help,...

Transfer of Ownership [ 1 Answers ]

My mother recently became unable to care for her home. She refinanced it and asked me to move in. She is now living with my sister. I am paying the loan even though it's in her name. She has asked me to get information about transferring the ownership. She would like the house to be in...

Nys vehicle title transfer question [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently transferred a nys title to my 2000 kia sportage to my daughter by signing the back of the title and dating it. Subsequent to this the car was seized by NYS for a 12 year old judgement. I stated that the car was transferred on the date signed on the back of the title and the official...

View more questions Search