Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelrae24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2010, 10:21 AM
    Is Landlord responsible for damage to car?
    Per our lease, our landlord is responsible for snow removal on the driveway. She requires us to park in the back portion of the driveway during the winter. My boyfriend's car was damaged -- the mirror broke off as he tried to pull out of the driveway that wasn't plowed -- can we charge the landlord with the cost of the damaged mirror?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 7, 2010, 10:23 AM

How did the mirror get damaged from the driveway not being plowed ?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2010, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by angelrae24 View Post
    Is Landlord responsible for damage to car?
    Hello a:

Maybe. But, I don't know what you mean by "charging" them... Certainly, if you call them up and demand payment, they won't pay and they'll evict you. If you took your claim to small claims court, I'd say you've got a 50/50 shot at winning. But, I don't know if the cost of a mirror is worth it.

If you're having OTHER problems with the landlord, tell us about them... It seems like you're pissed off at her.

excon
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2010, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by angelrae24 View Post
    Per our lease, our landlord is responsible for snow removal on the driveway. She requires us to park in the back portion of the driveway during the winter. My boyfriend's car was damaged -- the mirror broke off as he tried to pull out of the driveway that wasn't plowed -- can we charge the landlord with the cost of the damaged mirror?
    I'm trying to figure out how an unplowed driveway broke a rearview mirror - did he lose control of the vehicle or slide into something?

My guess is probably no. It sounds as if your boyfriend was driving too fast for the conditions, which resulted in the broken mirror. It was his obligation to operate the vehicle with care - not your landlords'.

Also, I don't know where you're located but my state gives me a 24-hour grace period from when the snow stops falling to get it removed. Anything that results in damage and/or injury as a result of my negligence AFTER that 24 hours is my liability.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 7, 2010, 03:39 PM

Not going to be handled by the LL unless he is very, very generous. If driving conditions were so bad that he could not control the car then he should not have driven it, snow or no snow. Now if the plow had hit him that would be a horse of a different color.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 7, 2010, 06:51 PM

And keeping the drive way plowed does not mean it will be clean all the time, it snows, and latter that day they get the snow cleared.

I don't see the LL responsible
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2010, 06:00 PM

The driver of the car is responsible not the landlord. He should have taken extra care in driving around the property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fire damage caused by visitor, who is responsible? [ 27 Answers ]

I am a resident manager. One of our tenant had a fire damage due to his family member's carelessness. His family member tried to cook chicken in the oven/stove and they did not know that there was a plastic container left on the bottom section of oven/stove. After couple minutes, that caused fire....

Calgary, AB - Is landlord responsible to pay out DD-Or Is ex-roommate responsible [ 18 Answers ]

Calgary, AB I have just recently moved out of a house I was living in with a couple roommates. I am having troubles getting my damage deposite back. I need to know if it is the responsibility of the landlord to pay me out, or if it is up to my roommates to pay me my portion? Will I...

My cousin's boyfriend took my car when I was sleeping and caused damage to my car [ 13 Answers ]

I slept over my cousin's house and her boyfriend, who lives with her, took my keys out of the room I was sleeping in and took my car for a joy ride. When I woke up I found damage done to my right side of my car and my driver side mirror hanging off. I contacted the police who said that I couldn't...

Contractor damage, who's responsible - PA [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Dauphin County, PA. Verizon had contractors digging behind the apartment building in preparation to install their FIOS service. The contractors hit a power line causing a power outage and surge which damaged/destroyed several pieces of electronic equipment. Verizon is shifting blame...

Who's responsible for my vehicles damage? [ 6 Answers ]

I live in a gated community and the gate which was malfunctioning for a number of years closed on my (new)car and damaged it in 2 places (2 yrs ago) and its now rusty and the property management company refuses to pay for the repairs. They are responsible for ensuring proper operations of all...

View more questions Search