Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Dec 7, 2010, 10:11 AM
    Can I Boot to Windows off 2nd Installed Hard Drive (Disk 1)
    If I installed a 2nd "cloned" hard drive (Disk 1) on a PC running XP, and the main hard drive (drive 0) crashed and won't boot to Windows, is it possible to "switch" to Disk 1 in Setup and boot to windows off of that 2nd HDD?

If so, how do I switch over?

Also, this is an old Dell Dimension 8100 with one of their very expensive non-standard power supplies... only 250 watts. Would it be a strain on the power supply to have and extra hard drive installed?

The reason for these questions is the main hard drive keeps getting corrupted every few months for no obvious reason and won't boot to Windows. I have a backup clone that I have to physically install, boot up, then format and clone the corrupted drive. Since I already replaced the main drive with a new one, which did not solve the problem, I'm just guessing it may be the power supply, so I don't want to over tax it if adding a 2nd HDD would do so. A new PS would cost more than the PC is worth. My wife just uses it for email and a bit of web surfing, so even though it's ancient, it's adequate for her.

Thanks...
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 7, 2010, 06:05 PM

If you have an OS on the second disk then yes you can boot from it. If the second disk was just for storage then no you can't boot off it.

Dec 7, 2010, 06:55 PM
    HELP??

I received an email that said the following:
    ITstudent2006 has just answered a question you have subscribed to entitled "Can I Boot to Windows off 2nd Installed Hard Drive (Disk 1)" in the Computers for Beginners topic of Ask Me Help Desk.
    To see ITstudent2006's response and to respond yourself click here:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/computers-beginners/can-boot-windows-off-2nd-installed-hard-drive-disk-1-a-532460-new.html

When I clicked on the link, there was no answer to the question. I'm still getting used to the new AMHD format, so maybe I am doing something wrong here. How can I read ITstudent2006's response?

Dec 7, 2010, 06:59 PM
    Now that I posted my 2nd question I can see ITstudent's answer...

IT: The 2nd drive is a clone with the OS on it. How exactly can instruct the PC to boot from drive 1 and ignore corrupted drive 0 ?

Thanks...
    Networking Expert

Dec 7, 2010, 09:32 PM

Unhook the first drive, put the second drive in its place. Put the jumper on primary. Start PC

Dec 7, 2010, 10:02 PM
    Thanks IT. That is what I am doing now. I was trying to get away from the disassembly, and just go into setup and change the boot order if possible, to boot on the good drive. Then I can just clone the good drive (1) back to the corrupted drive (0) and I'm back in action without physically swapping hard drives around.

Specifically, is there a way to instruct the PC in Setup to boot off drive (1) instead of Drive (0)?

Thanks again...
    Networking Expert

Dec 7, 2010, 10:11 PM

I believe so. Editing your temp. startup device should work.

You should see all devices, both HDD's, network, USB etc...

Another can confirm or deny this. I don't know how it works with a primary and slave HDD.

Dec 7, 2010, 10:16 PM
    Sorry, this is a bit confusing for me.

Am I just trying to change the boot order?

I think I know how to do that?

Will that let me boot the PC from Drive (1), even if there is a HDD in the Drive (0) position?
    Networking Expert

Dec 8, 2010, 06:31 AM
    If your second HD is listed in the BIOS as a startup disk then yes you can change it to boot ahead of disk(0).

Dec 8, 2010, 08:08 AM
    Excellent. Thank you.

Last question, back from my first posting:

This is an old Dell Dimension 8100 with one of their very expensive non-standard power supplies... only 250 watts. Would it be a strain on the power supply to have and extra hard drive installed?
    Networking Expert

Dec 8, 2010, 08:14 AM

I wouldn't think so but I am not sure.

Dec 8, 2010, 11:01 AM
    Can a 250w Power Supply Handle 2 Internal PATA Hard Drives
    I have an old Dell Dimension 8100 with one of their very expensive non-standard power supplies... only 250 watts.

Would it be a strain on the power supply to have and extra PATA hard drive installed? (total of 2)
    Networking Expert

Dec 8, 2010, 12:49 PM

I hate to point you to another forum but these guys are dealing with the same question.

Needless o say they are running 2-3 HDD's on a Dell 250W power supply and have had no issues.

Max.Drives on 200W Power Supply Unit - Dell - Systems
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Dec 8, 2010, 01:10 PM

In general it safe to presume that a power supply unit can handle the number of things it is designed to plug in. Each unit has a specific number of cables for the devices to attach, you should be able to attach devices up to the number of available cables.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 8, 2010, 03:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchsc View Post
    Excellent. Thank you.

Last question, back from my first posting:

This is an old Dell Dimension 8100 with one of their very expensive non-standard power supplies... only 250 watts. Would it be a strain on the power supply to have and extra hard drive installed?
    How about for christmas since its coming up you do something nice for your wife and get her a new laptop or something that she can enjoy. Plus it will cut down on a lot of wasted desk space as the monitor its hooked to takes up a lot of room.
    Networking Expert

Dec 8, 2010, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    How about for christmas since its coming up you do something nice for your wife and get her a new laptop or something that she can enjoy. Plus it will cut down on alot of wasted desk space as the monitor its hooked to takes up alot of room.
    Do you know each other?
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 8, 2010, 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    Do you know eachother?
    No. Why do you ask ?

Dec 8, 2010, 04:49 PM
    Well, thank you all. It sounds like the PS can handle another drive. I looked up the specs on the extra WD IDE 250GB drive I have and the power consumption ranges from 1w to 19w at spin up. Average power is about 9-12w. I didn't realize it was that low. Even at 19w, that's only about a 7% increase in power. I'll take the chance. (Sorry, I should have done this first)

In regards to CalifDad's suggestion, I wish I could. Got laid off and need to conserve right now. Anyway, my wife is a technophobe and would really struggle with a new system, especially if we upgraded to Windows 7. Yikes! She only does emails and a bit of web surfing, so her old clunker of a PC is really just fine for her.

I, on the other hand, would love a new PC. Mine is 10 years old and slooooow...

BTW, do JB & CalifDad agree with IT, that I can just change the boot order in Setup to boot off my clone drive in disk (1) position, if disk (0) crashes?

Have a wonderful holiday everyone.
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 8, 2010, 05:01 PM
    BTW, do JB & CalifDad agree with IT, that I can just change the boot order in Setup to boot off my clone drive in disk (1) position, if disk (0) crashes?

Yes I agree but your going to have to format the other drive to "boot". For it to do so you must have boot sectors already installed. Not just the OS. For that matter they make bootable disks for the purpose of recovery and when installing a OS on a system it always asks you to make one.

I also agree that in general. If you buy a OEM computer (name brand) and it comes with extra slots then you can use them and still be OK. The only time you actually run into issues is when you stray away from the norm and start adding high powered video cards to the system or extra fans. Otherwise if it was set up to handle 2 hard drives then you should be fine.
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 8, 2010, 05:10 PM
    I, on the other hand, would love a new PC. Mine is 10 years old and slooooow...

I know times are tough. But something you might not have considered is that there are deals out there. You can scan pawn shops and so long as your willing to be fair you can find some great deals. Also there are many websites you can check out and arm yourself with pricing before you go looking. Here are just a few deals under $200 with warranties.

I personally have never paid over $300 for a laptop and the ones I've e had have been very fast. Also from pawn shops.

Newegg.com - PCs & Laptops,Desktop PCs,$100 - $200

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Desk want boot up all the way can I send a boot disk from my laptop to the desk hard [ 1 Answers ]

Desktop want boot up give me a disk boot failue I do not have disk to insert how do I get it to bootup

Drive not ready. Insert boot disk into drive A: [ 4 Answers ]

I am currently trying to upgrade from windows 98 to windows xp. I have upgraded the RAM to 256. When I reboot I get "Drive not ready.. Insert Boot Disk into Drive A:". I have gone into the BIOS and have changed the boot sequence to boot first from the hard drive then the cd rom. It still...

Laptop won't boot from external hard disk [ 1 Answers ]

I used Acronis 11 to clone the internal hd on my laptop to an external usb hd. I back up my desktop in this way and it works great. Internal drive breaks or gets zapped by a virus and I simply boot from the external. If I boot normally and connect the external drive via USB after windows...

Boot without hard disk [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how can we boot our client from network instead of hard disk?? SHAVED DO YOU KNOW THIS? Please help if every one know about this?

Boot linux from an external hard drive dual boot? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I boot linex from an external hard drive dual boot. How do I do it ?

View more questions Search