Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Setwizard Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Dec 6, 2010, 08:00 PM
    Has anyone recently had a solar system installed at their home?
    I plan to install a 7kw solar system on my garage roof in the spring, anyone have any advice I should be aware of when choosing/dealing with an installer. Having done some homework, I found the sun power 315 to have the highest efficiency, but how about the inverters, etc... Appreciate any advice from installers or those who have had a system installed
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 6, 2010, 08:05 PM

Where do you live?

Dec 6, 2010, 08:13 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    I live in New Jersey my roof faces dead south and the roof pitch will be a 9/12 pitch
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 7, 2010, 03:37 PM

Are you trying to use sun light to make electricity or heat water? It will not be as good as Florida or any state south of the Mason/Dixon line, sun is at a angle
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Dec 13, 2010, 07:29 PM
    The current solar energy fad is one of this biggest scams going.

On average you can 'save' about $750 of electricity a year by installing a 7kW system for about $30,000.

Even with a $9000 immediate Federal Tax credit, the only way these things pay for themselves is with supplemental tax dollars from my and every other taxpayer's wallet.

Only one who makes any money here is the solar dealer.

The system materials will cost about $6000 and the installer will walk away with $24,000 of your cash for about 8-10 hours of work.

By the time the system has paid for itself, it will need to be replaced.

Run away as fast as you can from such scams.

You can buy several lifetimes worth of electricity for $30,000.

Jan 9, 2011, 09:19 PM
    Comment on manhattan42's post
    A 7kw system in my location should generate 7-8 srec's annually, each solar renewable energy credit is currently worth over $ 650. My electric bill should be near 0, and in less than 6 yrs the system will have paid for itself what am I missing?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A friend recently installed a new kitchen sink for me. It drains very slow & some of [ 7 Answers ]

A friend, (not a plumber) recently installed a new kitchen sink for me. It drains very slow & some of the water is coming out of the 'elbow' pipe under the sink & is now going into a bucket. That may just need tightening but, could there have been a piece of something placed in the sink drain for...

Solar system [ 2 Answers ]

Which planet has the most natural satellites?

Solar system for cottage [ 1 Answers ]

Will a Xantrex DR2424 modified sine wave inverter work and be approved with an arc fault breaker? Thanks

View more questions Search