Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alexthehopeless Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2010, 04:36 PM
    1 meal a day isn't healthy?
    I have been on a diet lately, for the past 2 1/2 weeks. It has been going great, I lost 20lbs, but I keep reading that eating 1 time a day is bad for you. I have heard a lot of negative results associated with this kind of eating habit. I am determined to keep going, but not if the negative effects out-weigh the positive. I have went to several different health sites, and at this point I'm really scared.
    I don't want to do the wrong thing if I can help it. I just really want to lose weight...
    Any info. Would be appreciated, at this point I'm all ears.
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2010, 05:31 PM

I'd be far more worried about losing 20lb in two and a half weeks. That weight loss is for too fast to be healthy, unless you are severely obese.

Eating one or two meals a day can work, if it's planned properly. But the point is that you eat meals with the maximun nutrition possible. Just skipping your other meals won't do it. It's not the number of meals you eat, it's the quality of the food and the amount that counts.

What are you eating now? Can you post what you eat in a normal day?

Dec 7, 2010, 04:11 AM
    Comment on Eileen G's post
    Well what I have been doing is eating breakfast and throughout the day eating vegetables or fruits to substitute the other meals. It may not be the best thing for me to do but if it is working I am content on continuing.
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2010, 09:33 AM

What do you eat for breakfast? Fruit and veg is good, but if you are doing this, you need a really good breakfast.

Dec 7, 2010, 01:03 PM
    What would you recommend I eat for breakfast?

Dec 7, 2010, 01:34 PM
    Also, I was 90 lbs over weight. I think 20lbs is a bit extreme, but I believe this could really help me if I can continue. If anything rapid weight loss, for me, may be a good thing(I hope)Either way I really need to do this,and not just for my sake.

Dec 7, 2010, 01:41 PM
    Another thing, I am not very active throughout the day. I may get about 20-30 of normal exercise a day. Maybe. And so far I haven't had to alter that.
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2010, 01:58 PM

If you are going to eat breakfast as your main meal, then you need to make sure you get the essential protein and fat in this meal. Sounds a bit odd, but your best bet is probably fish, ideally an oily fish like salmon, sardines, trout etc, and a nice veg. Eggs are another good option, but you can get sick of them, so vary with the fish or even an occasional steak. Thin cut steak will cook very quickly.

The worst breakfast in the circumstances is cereal, particularly the Special K types that make a big deal of being low fat. They manage this by having huge amounts of sugar.

I don't believe the whole thing of "If you drop calories, your metabolism shuts down and you start piling on weight." But I have seen a lot of evidence that if you eat a diet that doesn't supply what you need, you start getting too tired to get the exercise you need and you don't get the results you want.

Try to be active as possible. Walk more, climb stairs, dance to loud rock music, do a few press-ups when no-one is looking. Always be the person who offers to do the photocopying or to collect the coffee.

Dec 8, 2010, 10:36 AM
    But wouldn't an increase in exercise cut my calorie intake even more. I'm eating less than 2000 calories a day as it is. And I have been feeling slightly more fatigued. Is this a bad thing?

Dec 8, 2010, 10:53 AM
    If I have no other choice though, I suppose I have to start exercising more. I'm not a usually active person, but sacrifices must be made I guess. When should I start?

Dec 8, 2010, 10:57 AM
    Also, what kind of exercise? Do you mean cardio, like walking and such?
    And for how long each day?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 8, 2010, 10:57 AM

Poor diet habits will only do the body harm and make normally weight easy to put back on, since it is lost wrong.

Unless you had a large water loss, 20 lbs in 2 weeks is a good sign of a poor diet plan. And will allow that plus more to easily come back.

Real weight loss will be a slow process that allows for proper diet,

Dec 8, 2010, 11:18 AM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    I understand what you're saying but at this point I'm willing to try anything.I have altered my diet to one more suitable recently.I have begun to eat a little more a day,for fear that it IS an improper diet.At this point exercise looks like is key

Dec 8, 2010, 11:22 AM
    And isn't weight loss the entire point of dieting. Also, where is the harm. I think by now I'd be feeling some bad effects right? What are some signs then? Should I quit then? Is that what you're saying?

Dec 8, 2010, 11:23 AM
    If I don't do something about my weight now, I'm afraid I might never get rid of it. As of right now, it is a choice between over-eating and not eating enough...

Dec 8, 2010, 11:27 AM
    I weigh 250 lbs right now, that is not good. This diet is my last shot at losing weight. If I screw this up, I might not get another chance. I don't know what to do right now...

Dec 8, 2010, 11:32 AM
    I really need to do this, and I'm starting to think about quitting. I have endured hunger pains for nearly a month now and If, this whole entire time, I've done absolutely nothing but hurt myself, I guess it's over
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2010, 11:33 AM

If I don't do something about my weight now, I'm afraid I might never get rid of it. As of right now, it is a choice between over-eating and not eating enough...
    1) please use the answer box to give follow-up, not the comments feature.

2) why does it have to be either under or over eating? What's preventing just having a healthy, balanced diet?

Sure diets are meant to help people lose weight, but fad diets don't usually work in the long run. You might lose a bunch of weight initially. But as soon as you go back to your normal eating patterns the weight comes back. You have to think long term. Is it realistic to only have one meal a day long term? If you're already beginning to feel fatigued from it, that's a sign that the diet is not healthy. So no, one meal a day the way you've been doing it is not realistic-you'd get sick if you were continue.
    You mentioned you're eating a little more now. What sort of foods are you eating now?
    And yes, exercise absolutely is key. Being thin does not automatically mean healthy. You can be thin and still unhealthy if you're not exercising.

Dec 8, 2010, 11:42 AM
    I have been like this my entire life okay, it is not simply "quit eating as much, just eat normally". I don't know what normal is. Are you suggesting it is better to die from heart attack or stroke, rather than give this diet a chance. That is what will happen, I have consulted a doctor, I know what is to come if I continue over eating. I am 16yrs old and I weigh 250lbs, 70lbs above my normal weight, I really do not know what to do.
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2010, 11:46 AM

Diet is what helps you lose weight, exercise is what makes you look good with your clothes off. Exercise on its own is rarely enough to produce significant weight loss, but you need to do it to keep healthy.

One of the things that can happen when you diet is that your body looks to see what it can afford to lose. If you don't exercise, your body may decide that muscle and bone density are not as important as conserving the fat stores. Regular exercise (a combination of cardio, strength and general activity) will ensure that your body tends to burn fat rather than muscle.

You say less than 2000 calories. How much less, and what are you actually eating at the moment?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

7 Day Healthy Eating and Fitness plan! [ 7 Answers ]

:) Hi, Just wondering if any one has done study on what food to eat and not to eat and what fitness exercises work and don't work? I am looking for a 7 day eating a fitness plan that works and isn't too expensive. At the moment all I'm eating in toast in the morning and rice cruskits and tuna...

Is t healthy to pee 8 - 12 times a day [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - this is a really weird question - and probably too much information.:eek: But I usually pee anywhere from 8 - 12 times a day - but never less than seven. I don't find myself needing to get up all through the night as I go right before I got to bed - but always wake up 2-3 hours early to...

Meal Plans? [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know where to find free meal plans online?

Toddlers in a day care setting eating at the table during meal times [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I work for a grant funded day care facility and we have a three-year-old child that does not like to seat at the table during meal times. The child will run away from the table and will not eat any meals at school. We have tried to talk to the parents and they state that they feed the...

Choosing your last meal [ 17 Answers ]

If you knew you were going to die tomorrow morning, what would you choose to eat at your last meal? P.S. There are no limits to what you can request.

View more questions Search