Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2010, 11:10 AM
    Lots of Snow and Cold Weather
    I'm sure everyone has heard about the unusual snow and cold temperatures so early in the season over in England, Ireland, Wales, and Europe by now. The armchair weather forecasters are calling for a brutal winter season over in Europe this year.

I'm of the opinion that a mini Ice Age is upon us this winter even here in the USA and especially in Europe due to all the dispersant spraying that was done in the Gulf of Mexico disaster this past spring and summer. All that stuff went up into the atmosphere and is now wreaking havoc on the world's weather.

And Global Warming is now officially, truly dead. Global Cooling or Ice Age is now upon us all. Stock up on food, warm clothing, cooking fuel as the electricity will go out a lot this winter as they hope to kill more people in the cold.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2010, 11:16 AM
    Chemtrails?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 6, 2010, 11:26 AM

Boy, you should have been around during the winters in western NY during the '50s -- ice storms, power lines down for days, heavy snow storms, moving in with neighbors who had wood stoves and coal furnaces, reading by candlelight.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2010, 11:42 AM

Or it could be unusually heavy volcanic activity both in Iceland and Indonesia this year . Or it could be that pesky Southern Oscillation La Nina this year.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2010, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    or it could be unusually heavy volcanic activity both in Iceland and Indonesia this year . Or it could be that pesky Southern Oscillation La Nina this year.
    Or it could be all three, or it could just be what used to be known as weather.

We think it passing strange that way back in time a certain volcano caused severe weather conditions in Britain and Europe and hey presto, one volcano and what do we have. Here in Australia we are having floods and locusts we haven't seen in well, some years, half of the state of NSW is under water, but don't worry there are no people there. Should we blame that on volcanos or La Nina or both? oh! I know, it's GLOBAL WARMING!

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/we...206-18mxq.html
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2010, 05:28 PM

Ask the "jet"setters with the huge carbon footprints who are having a grand fiesta in Cancun. Note they were wise to avoid Northern Europe this time.

Actually the Brits have gotten a bit of a cold awakening. The British Meteorological Office (MET) revealed an inconvenient truth... for the past 15 years, global warming has stopped.
    Earlier this year, a paper by Michael Mann - for years a leading light in the IPCC, and the author of the infamous 'hockey stick graph' showing flat temperatures for 2,000 years until the recent dizzying increase - made an extraordinary admission: that, as his critics had always claimed, there had indeed been a ' medieval warm period' around 1000 AD, when the world may well have been hotter than it is now.

Other research is beginning to show that cyclical changes in water vapour - a much more powerful greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide - may account for much of the 20th Century warming.

Even Phil Jones, the CRU director at the centre of last year's 'Climategate' leaked email scandal, was forced to admit in a little noticed BBC online interview that there has been 'no statistically significant warming' since 1995.
    Global warming has halted: That's what happened to 'warmest year on record' | Mail Online
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2010, 05:42 PM
    ask the "jet"setters with the huge carbon footprints who are having a grand fiesta in Cancun. Note they were wise to avoid Northern Europe this time.

Actually the Brits have gotten a bit of a cold awakening. The British Meteorological Office (MET) revealed an inconvenient truth...for the past 15 years, global warming has stopped.
    Global warming has halted: That's what happened to 'warmest year on record' | Mail Online
    Tom so "global warming" is attributable to water vapor, in other words, hot air. I wonder if we could get a correlation with the increase in politicians caused by the formation of the UN and all their little dogooding buddies. You know I wish these so called scientists would find their missing decimal points and realise the changes aren't statistically significient or within a 95% confidence interval usually reserved for significient statistical data
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Dec 8, 2010, 02:07 PM

All I know is I'm cold. And I finally have a reason to be cheerful that I have a reasonably well padded derrier, I've landed on it often enough recently.

Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2010, 03:18 PM

Is it cold enough to have a 'frost fair '?

River Thames frost fairs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Dec 8, 2010, 04:35 PM

We don't have accurate records for the temperatures at the time of the major frost fairs. Estimates suggest that a temperature at or below -15C would need to be sustained for the Thames to freeze.

We have had temps of around that in my part of the country though not for sustained periods. It has been bouncing around between about zero and -18. Further North in Scotland they have been having temperatures in the -20s.

Modifications to the bridges and embankments on the Thames mean it now flows signifcantly faster than it did in the days of the frost fairs so would be harder to freeze over. Non tidal parts of the Thames last froze solid in 1963, after the majority of these modifications.

Though I have never lived near the Thames, I'm further North, I have picnicked on the middle of the local reservoir with friends in my reckless youth.

What is unusual is how early the cold and snow arrived. We have had record snow-falls and cold winters that didn't start until late December in recent decades. We wait to see how long it will be sustained. That and the size of the dreaded heating bills...
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2010, 05:08 PM

The Thames ice fairs also occurred during the peak of the 'Little Ice Age'... that period of cooling prior to the Mann hockeystick graph,and the East Anglia scientists decided to 'hide the decline'.

Here in New York ,residents of Manhattan were able to walk across NY harbor between Manhattan and Staten Island. Compared to that ,this recent Canadian arctic blast is a piece of cake.
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2010, 06:02 PM
    So Tom I think we are agreed that most of us have no idea what is normal, except as it relates to our life times. I have seen wild weather events and we are nowhere near the conditions which existed when I was a lad even though it is a little wet around here for the first time in a decade. I'm waiting for the return of snow on the ground as was photographed a century ago, perhaps with global warming this is a falorn hope but who knows, we may yet have snow in December
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2010, 02:53 PM

I remember one Xmas when I was 10 (1957) when it was warm and then the same year Easter it snowed!

I do know that the winter is going to be bad here in Ohio as my coonies have already "retired" for the winter and haven't been up to my back porch since 2 weeks ago.

We get the chemtrails here a lot trying to bring over storms into this area.

Odd that even South Florida had already record low temps this early in the season. I remember back in the winter of 1976-77 it went down to 32 degrees F and snowed in Miami enough to write your name in car windows. There was some dead guy in his car at the end of my walkway when I awoke New Year's Day. It was very cold that night. He lived up the street and was trying to drive himself to the hospital and ended up rearending the car parked in front of my home and dying behind the steering wheel. I didn't hear his car crash into the parked car as I had my reverse A/C on heat and it made quite a racket. Zip bang I had 30 people crawling all over my front yard for about an hour before they took him and his car away. What a way to start a New Year off!
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2010, 07:13 PM

What I think is horrible is the fact that now they are predicting that 35 thousand people in the UK will die due to the extreme cold weather they are having. And what are these people supposed to pay their heating bills with as heating fuel has gone skyrocketing high. Like I said earlier they are trying to kill more people this winter than ever.

Lately we've had an extremely low barometric pressure snow storm that was lower than the big snow storm on Feb 2010 on my barometer. It's now well below zero windchill and close to zero degrees farehheit where I am. And this is not even officially winter yet.
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2010, 11:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    What I think is horrible is the fact that now they are predicting that 35 thousand people in the UK will die due to the extreme cold weather they are having. And what are these people supposed to pay their heating bills with as heating fuel has gone skyrocketing high. Like I said earlier they are trying to kill more people this winter than ever.

Lately we've had an extremely low barometric pressure snow storm that was lower than the big snow storm on Feb 2010 on my barometer. It's now well below zero windchill and close to zero degrees farehheit where I am. And this is not even officially winter yet.
    Want to know what is even more horrible? I was contacted by a "broker" this morning to suggest I could profit from these skyrocketting heating oil prices. I don't like it when the goulds come out. What I suggest both you and they do, come and live in a place where it isn't as cold and the heating prices are still affordable, but don't wait too long
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2010, 07:11 PM
    Well its happened; snow in December! This may be no surprise to those north of the divide but down here in the south it is somewhat unknown, or, at least, a very infrequent event. It seems that the snow isn't content to fall in Europe, it must fall in Australia as well. So, shall we declare global warming dead, or just still born. For those in northern climes, this is summer here, and we are not close enough to the pole to warrant antarctic weather

As theories go, I think the ice age might be coming back into vogue
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2010, 05:01 AM

Here is a 2000 prediction by the 'settled science' in England.
    Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past - Environment - The Independent
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2010, 03:06 PM
    Here is a 2000 prediction by the 'settled science' in England.
    Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past - Environment - The Independent
    Just shows you doesn't it, the reasons for things just aren't what we think they are. I had never experienced snow as a child either, it was something distant and happened far, far away and who knows; snow for Christmas? What new experiences does Global Warming hold, the other day I watched my street run like a river for five minutes, and just as quickly it was gone
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2010, 05:11 PM

Hey Paraclete what about the snow in New South Wales Australia? I'm sure that is not a figment of my imagination...
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2010, 11:14 PM
    No it has been snowing here in some parts and in Victoria too. Not far from where I live in fact, some very cold days here, had to put the heating back on. But half of New South Wales is under water and parts of Western Australia too. Much bigger floods than Pakistan but as the area is sparsely populated and people don't live in flood prone areas the impact is very much less but it has ruined the wheat harvest, the cherry harvest and many other crops

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/b...-1225974173962

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No cold weather lights [ 0 Answers ]

When the weather is cold my 91 Hona Civic DX does not have dash or tail lights until it warms up (about 15-20 minutes) Any ideas. It does not happen when the outside temp is above about 40 degrees. Owned the car for 9+ years and has always done it.

Heat pumps in cold weather [ 2 Answers ]

Do heat pumps/ac cost the same price to run in heat and ac or is the cost diferant in one moad or the other

Idle Fluxuates in cold Weather [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1997 Honda Accord SE. In cold weather when I start the car, the Idle fluxuates until the car is heated. I have to run the car until the temperature comes up, then it's OK. What could this be? Thanks,, Bob

Rooster/cold weather [ 2 Answers ]

How cold of weather can a chicken or rooster withstand?

Working on cold weather [ 4 Answers ]

Hi: Even when this question is not related to aviation technical issues, I'd like to ask to any A&P mechanic who have worked in cold weather conditions (24°F-35°F aprox) outside of a hangar, about what clothes are good to keep me warm enough to handle the cold when the job is outdoors,and at the...

View more questions Search