Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SIMBRIAL Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2010, 09:20 AM
    Property taxes on a G1 visa
    Hello,
    Mr. Atlantataxhelper, I just bought a place along with my husband US citizen. I am on a G1 visa.
    How does it work for taxes property? How to claim taxes on this property? Should he files the 50% of all, and me the other 50% in my home country?
    It is so confusing for us. We do not know how to proceed.
    Many thanks and kind regards,
    Simbrial
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 6, 2010, 11:58 AM

you do not "file" property tax, property tax is a bill sent to you on the value of the property. ** if this is what you are talking about.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 7, 2010, 08:35 PM
    Simbrial:

While you may be exempt from income taxes, you ARE liable for property taxes onproperty owned in the United States.

If you are paying a mortgage, the taxes will be paid from an scrow account maintain by the mortgage company.

If you own the property free and clear, then a tax bill will be sent to you. Just pay it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Are property taxes paid in France deductible as property taxes in the you.S. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a secondary residence in France. Are the "taxes fonciéres" and "taxes d'habitation" deductible as real estate taxes on my U.S. return? According to IRS Tax Topic 503 (http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc503.html), deductible real estate taxes include foreign taxes on real property provided they...

Can I deduct my property taxes in Brazil from my Income Taxes in US [ 1 Answers ]

I own to propterties in Brazil and pay property taxes in Brazil. I have no Income in Brazil. Can I deduct my property taxes paid in Brazil on my US Income tax return please?

Who pays back property taxes in inherited property [ 5 Answers ]

I inherited 51 acres in West Virginia from my father who has died in March of last year. It is being transferred to me on Friday. The 2008 property taxes have not been paid. The will is going through Probate Court in Georgia now. Should the estate of my father pay the back taxes as the will is...

Property owned by four people - one paying property taxes [ 7 Answers ]

There has been land in my family for one hundred years. About 19 years ago I was put on title with four other family members. The land is in Ontario Canada. Ten years ago the title was change to myself and three other family members as one died and was removed from title. The property taxes were...

Property Taxes on Property sold for estate settlement. [ 1 Answers ]

We have sold property in Indiana that will be part of and estate settlement. The property sold for less than $100,000. The money from this property will be divided between the 6 children. What taxes will be owed for the sale of this property?

View more questions Search