Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brent999 Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Dec 4, 2010, 05:24 PM
    DSC Security PC1864 and PC5400 Printing
    Is the PC5400 supposed to print every system event, like every time a door is opened and closed?

I have a PC1864 (this the fourth DSC system I have installed in my homes), but the first PC5400. The PC5400 is enrolled and printing is enabled. I know the unit is basically working because if I enable DTR handshake and unplug the printer, the trouble light comes on each keypad. Also, before I jumpered the tamper pins, the unit was producing a general system tamper. So the unit is functional and is new out of the box.

I'm not getting a thing to print, but I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much or if there is more setup to do. I tried different baud rates, I have connected the unit to my laptop serial port, nothing.

By the way, my communicator is turned off (no phone line), I'm not sure if that makes a difference.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2010, 08:56 AM

Compatible Products
    The Printer Module is probably the only board I haven't installed, You say you enabled printer in Location 01, section 1.
    I do notice the compatible panels to be:

• PC580
    • PC1555
    • PC1575
    • PC5010
    • PC5015
    • PC5020

Have you used one on an 1864? Should work even though its not on the list, I would think. You haven't exceeded 200' for the 6 pin cord? Are ends correctly orientated? DB 25 Pins in correct position? The jumper in the tamper will ensure no trouble light for that module.

Dec 5, 2010, 12:25 PM
    The PC5400 is listed on DCS's website and in the PC1864 manual as compatible. It is recognized as an enrolled module and I can get into its programming function (to enable it, set the baud rate, etc).

Yes the tamper connections (T1/T2) are jumpered, if they are not jumpered the system does show a general system tamper message.

At the moment I'm working right at the panel so there is only a few feet of cable. I have tried swapping pins 2/3 (rx/tx) just in case they were backwards. I certainly thought I had the RS-232 connector correct, at least I know DTR is correct given what I documented previously. Actually I did order a RS-232 breakout box in order to better diagnose the pin-out, but it's a few days away. I have pinned out many RS-232 connectors over the years. I understand RS-232 well. When the PC5400 is configured without DTR handshake, in theory, it should work with only two pins connected, signal ground and transmit data (from the PC5400's perspective). Even if the baud rate was miss-matched I would see something.

I suppose I should verify each pin on the RJ12 cable that was provided just in case it's bad.

I'm just wondering if the module works the way I thought it did, printing every event by default. Or, other than "enabling" the module, is the something else that needs to be done in order to tell the system what events to print.

It seems so simple, so I'm just trying to confirm that I'm not completely missing something.

Thanks!

Dec 5, 2010, 04:58 PM
    Okay, with some further testing today I have confirmed that the RS-232 is correct. If I unplug/plug the printer, now I see a message saying printer offline, printer online. So the device produces output.
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2010, 05:31 PM

Sounds like you probably have the manual or access to their secure area of their site. I have access myself, and if you don't have the pinouts of the DB25 to 6 conductor, I don't see a problem providing it.
    Wonder if there is a location in the Control Panels Programming to enable Printer Output?

Dec 6, 2010, 08:52 AM
    Comment on Stratmando's post
    The PC5400 ships with the install guide so I have the RJ12 pinout. The RS-232 connection is working because it prints "PC5400 printer on-line". I have read and re-read the PC1864 install manual, there must be something I'm missing. Thanks
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2010, 10:08 AM

As far as No phone, you just need to disable communications and disable Telephone line monitor. On the 1832 it is locations 015, and 380 I believe. This will eleminate a trouble from a Lack of Communication.
    When you say you enrolled it, you mean you did a 902 to enable supervision, and then 903 to verify the Panel sees the PC 5400 Module? Light 20 should be lit.
    Also try selecting the other printer option(40 or 80 Column Printer)

Dec 6, 2010, 10:17 AM
    I don't have a phone error, I disabled the communicator as you have documented, just in case that could be a factor re PC5400. Yes I did a 902,903 and I have changed the column size. I have LCD keypads, so I don't get a "light 20". Thanks!
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2010, 03:38 PM

When you do 903, your keypads and anything on the Buss should show up after doing 902.
    I like an Alpha Display keypad on all systems I install to ensure Accurate Programming, The Led and Icon can get misinterpreted unless you work with them.
    I do like the LED keypad in the bedroom so I can SEE which zone is violated. And Even the Icon Keypad even though it doesn't allow custom names, etc, it does have 4 different programmable chime sounds.
    On mine, front door is 1 chime, Garage door is another sound, the Shed in back is a 3rd, ant the 4th alarm chime is my van. I have a door/window transmitter in my van and wirelessly chimes my inside Keypads, I can tell when my vehicle is opened. Someone at the Van will not.
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2010, 03:40 PM

Telephone line monitor will show a trouble if voltage is not present at telco input.
    Failure to communicate will show a trouble when an alarm occurs and can not get a hold of a Receiver.
    Did your keypads show up in 903?

Dec 6, 2010, 05:25 PM
    Yes, I have 3 keypads, 2 expansion modules and the PC5400 and they all show up when a view module supervision operation is performed, 903. Actually everything works great except the PC5400 never prints anything other than its "online banner".

Dec 6, 2010, 07:44 PM
    I have discovered that if I press the keypad fire button, I get a message via the PC5400. So this means that there is definitely something to configure if I wish to record zone openings and closings.
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2010, 06:04 AM

Are you trying to arm/disarm, trigger the alarm to get it to print?
    Do you have their tech support number?

Dec 7, 2010, 07:25 AM
    Arm / disarm doesn't trigger a print event. I expect that if I armed the system and triggered an alarm it would.

Dec 7, 2010, 07:26 AM
    I have not considered calling DSC as it is my understanding that they strictly work only with certified installers rather than end users. Have you had a different experience?
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2010, 01:06 PM

I am a DSC Dealer/Installer, I don't have a problem with Tech Support, I will give them a call and pick their brains, and see if I can get you to talk directly to them,
    You also have the Manual for the 1864 and Installer code it sounds like?

Dec 7, 2010, 01:35 PM
    Yes, I'm installing the system from scratch and I have all the installer manuals (they ship with the product) and I haven't even bothered to change the default installer code. Thanks!

Dec 9, 2010, 08:24 AM
    I found an interesting document: http://www.walkerhomesecurity.com/home_alarm_manuals/dsc/pc5400_v2-2_is_en_na_dvacs_29003165_r000.pdf

Look at page 6, section 42, option 6 (Miscellaneous Transmission Options)

Dec 9, 2010, 09:12 AM
    Given this I tried changing the PC1864 [367]-[374] Opening/Closing Communicator Call Directions, but that didn't work. Have a feeling the solution is somewhere between reporting codes sections 328 and 347.

Dec 14, 2010, 08:39 AM
    For anyone else that comes across this thread, through a local DSC dealer I have been put in touch with DSC.

The PC5400 is not a print logger as I thought, it is designed to report alarm events. However, there is a work around and I am gathering information on this right now. It relates to configuring a second partition and have a PGM follow a standard door contact and trip a 24 hour supervisory zone in Partition 2.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to enter phone number in DSC security system [ 6 Answers ]

Recently completed a new home construction which during the build called a local company to install a security system. They completed roughly 90% of the work and said they would return to set the system up to call my local dispatch center. Well, days turned into weeks, weeks into months, and almost...

DSC alarm [ 2 Answers ]

I have a DSC 832 alarm system. My phone lines were struck by lightening and caused my alarm keypad to start beeping. I unpluged the battery & electric. When phone lines were repaired I replaced the battery with a new one and plugged the electric back in. They both work. The keypad showed a trouble...

Dsc 1832 resistor value [ 1 Answers ]

I have a DCS 1832 and I am getting intermitting open. The wires at the control panel are tightly secured. It could be a resistor problem and I am unsure of to what the resitor value should be for the zones. Can you help?

Vista Security response has stopped printing [ 5 Answers ]

My wife has a new computer with Vista Home Premium. We're still learning the nuances of Vista. At one point, she wanted to print an email in Yahoo. Vista generated a pop up about if she recognized the program or not. She answered the question incorrectly and now can't print anything from the...

How to Program Door Chime on ADT or DSC security system. [ 1 Answers ]

I have an ADT Focus 32 home security system. When the system was installed, the installer programmed a different chime sound for each of 4 exterior doors. I would like to change the chime tone on one of the doors, I have the "Instruction Manual" and the "Installation Manual" but neither provide...

View more questions Search