Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iammrsam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2011, 09:55 PM
    Comment on brent999's post
    Brent999, any chance you could ellaborate more on your answer... I am considering a PC5400 for my power832 system and was hoping it is a print logger (all events are sent to the printer)... is that not the case ?
    brent999 Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Jan 21, 2011, 08:26 AM
    No the PC5400 is not a print logger (although I think it should be). It basically logs arm/disarm,installer code in/out, alarm events and the like. See my next comment...

Jan 21, 2011, 08:28 AM
    An explanation of how to accomplish this with a PC5400 is otherwise complicated. I'll add to my "answer" (at the end of the thread I think. Unfortunately this thread is getting long and "comments" don't allow for very many characters.

Jan 21, 2011, 09:32 AM
    Well I'm glad I'm saving someone else time. I think my misconception is a common one. The IT-100 or IT-120 boards, I believe, will allow you to accomplish door contact opening/closings, but that requires two-way (smart) communication. Also note, the PC5400 does not print zone information in a “labeled” format, when a zone triggers an alarm, it's reported by number only. That is to say, reporting is not done with any keypad labeling you might have set up. The PC5400 does connect to the keypad bus, it could in theory do this, but it does not. I have come to the conclusion that the PC5400 is a rarely used module.

Anyway, I have two work arounds for the PC5400 open/close reporting issue, neither of which I implemented because I don't like them.

1) The DSC solution is as follows. Use a PGM output rather than a Zone terminal. Connect each PGM terminal to any door (contact) that you wish to log open/close events for. Set up that PGM output for “follow” and make it a “24 hour supervisory zone” on Partition 2.

I know this is not the best explanation, but with some research into the manual, hopefully it is enough for someone to figure it out. Because I have not personally done it, I don't have all the details, but the concept makes sense.

Anyway, here is the problem with this method. This door will not contribute to your standard Partition 1 alarm system. Also, you typically have limited PGM outputs (although you can increase these using a PC5204, power supply, board) so you cannot make “every” contact log. As a side effect, partition 2 will be in constant alarm mode, but it won't otherwise cause your siren or keypad to alarm.

2) My solution, which I never implemented, but after some thought, it is what I would do. Have the door contact trigger a double pole relay. Connect one pole to your Partition 1 zone and then the other to your PGM follower.

The problem with this method is that you have introduced a relay and that is another point of failure in the system. Also, this messes up EOL termination, but since most of us don't use proper EOL termination (where the terminator is at the contact rather than inside the alarm box!), I don't think that is too much of a problem. With some thought, there might be a work around for the termination issue. The matter of relay reliability, I believe is not extraordinary, small board mount relays are inexpensive and are very reliable. Also, with some thought, one could “group” contacts and connect one PGM to multiple relays, thereby report openings and closings grouped (e.g. all exterior doors). This would address the issue of limited PGM outputs verses zone connections.

There might be a modification to this where by you could take half of your zones and assigned them to Partition 2 and accomplish with Zones rather than PGMs.

With this said, I'm still happy with my setup. I connected the PC5400 to a Digi SP One (powered by the alarm system) which fires the PC5400 output through my home network to a Linux server. With a very small shell script I grab every line of PC5400 output and text it to my phone. It works great. Every time the system is armed, disarmed, goes in/out of installer mode, goes into alarm or has any zone crossed during the entry/exit, this process gives me a text.

With motivation a little Perl script could likely accomplish event reporting with a IT-100/120, then contact opening/closings could be reported in a portable (Windows/Linux) way. This would do what I think lots of people would like. I've expended as much time as I can on my little project, but may with my experience documented perhaps someone else will take this a step further.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2011, 10:01 AM

I thought about using a doublepole relay to allow zone control and logging as well, and don't like adding a potential problem. This is if a second contact can't be installed.
    I was actually thinking of using a DSC Panel in My truck, and have the contact(relay from dome light) go to a zone input, and program as a keyswitch. So when I open my door it effectively arms/disarms(logs a time), and can be viewed through the Event log on the Keypad.
    Sometimes I get to an Emergency Job and forget to take note of the exact time, this would allow seeing when I got there.
    I just got off the phone with DSC, and they say it prints the same info as the Event Log on an Alpha Keypad.
    I don't have a Manual in fron of me now, and don't have much call or experience with Partitions to see a zone could be Global and have second partition silent, May be something in Zone attributes that could be changed as well. I will look into this later.
    Good deal you are sticking it out. Take care

Jan 21, 2011, 04:05 PM
    Comment on Stratmando's post
    FYI. My info came from the head of technical training (I don't recall his name). He said that it was good that I reached him as most of people in tech support would not know the work around he provided to me.
    iammrsam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2011, 12:27 PM
    Thanks a lot for that explanation, much appreciated. I guess to sum up, for simple logging the PC5400 should do. For more complete logging (door/window open/close etc.. not just arming) maybe the PC5401/IT-100 is a better choice ?

Feb 16, 2011, 06:51 AM
    I don't have an answer to your question iammrsam regards the PC5401/IT-100, I can speculate that the IT-100 with more complex programming (two-way communication) will create a logger. Having said this, I did prove the work around that I described in this thread and I am now adding to my answer with the details. It turns out it's not too bad...

Feb 16, 2011, 07:20 AM
    The basic solution is to create a “24 Hour Supervision (Hardwired)” type 09 zone in partition 2. Let say we use Z50. When this zone is triggered it generates an instant alarm and log event on partition 2 which is otherwise invisible for our purposes. Add a 5.6K resistor between Z50 and its common (even if you don't use EOL termination!). I tried without the resistor and got a zone fault even though my system is configured for no EOL termination.

This zone, Z50, is wired to a PGM, say PGM1. PGM1 “follows” zones in partition 1 (the only partition most people use). I programmed PGM1 as a zone follower type 29 (Zone Follower (Zones 1 – 8) with attribute 3 (switches to ground when activated, but otherwise is an “open collector” or open circuit).

So here is how it works. The PGM activates on ranges of zone depending on which follower zone range you select. For example, I wired all my exterior zones Z1 through Z8 and then “followed” them with PGM1. Whenever one of these zones opens, the PGM activates. Since the PGM is wired to a 24 hour supervision zone, this generates an immediate alarm and logs an event to the PC5400. This means every time an exterior door is opened, I get a log event. However, because the 24 supervision zone is on partition 2, it doesn't cause an audible alarm.

This methodology can be extended. For example, since I have more than 8 exterior zones the reality is that I need to follow Z1 through Z16. So I have to create two zone follower PGMs, but I should be able to wire them both to the same zone follower (I haven't proven this yet, but I'm pretty sure it will work).

So here are the itemized details:
    - Assign a PGM to partition 1
    - Program PGM as a zone follower attribute 3 (default). Select the zone follower type based on the range of zones you wish to follow.
    - Enable partition 2
    - Create a “24 Hour Supervision (Hardwired)” type 09 zone
    - Assign the 24 hour supervision zone to partition 2
    - Put a 5.6k resistor between this partition 2 supervision zone and common
    - Run a wire from the PGM to the partition 2 supervision zone

Feb 17, 2011, 12:08 PM
    A correction to my list above. With regard to PGM partition assignment. PGM zone followers don't assign to a partition, they assign to zones. So in the "partition assignement" you want to select all zones you want to follow. So in my first bullet "Assign a PGM to partition 1", that is wrong, it should say "Assign PGM to partition (zones) 1-8 according which zones you wish to follow".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to enter phone number in DSC security system [ 6 Answers ]

Recently completed a new home construction which during the build called a local company to install a security system. They completed roughly 90% of the work and said they would return to set the system up to call my local dispatch center. Well, days turned into weeks, weeks into months, and almost...

DSC alarm [ 2 Answers ]

I have a DSC 832 alarm system. My phone lines were struck by lightening and caused my alarm keypad to start beeping. I unpluged the battery & electric. When phone lines were repaired I replaced the battery with a new one and plugged the electric back in. They both work. The keypad showed a trouble...

Dsc 1832 resistor value [ 1 Answers ]

I have a DCS 1832 and I am getting intermitting open. The wires at the control panel are tightly secured. It could be a resistor problem and I am unsure of to what the resitor value should be for the zones. Can you help?

Vista Security response has stopped printing [ 5 Answers ]

My wife has a new computer with Vista Home Premium. We're still learning the nuances of Vista. At one point, she wanted to print an email in Yahoo. Vista generated a pop up about if she recognized the program or not. She answered the question incorrectly and now can't print anything from the...

How to Program Door Chime on ADT or DSC security system. [ 1 Answers ]

I have an ADT Focus 32 home security system. When the system was installed, the installer programmed a different chime sound for each of 4 exterior doors. I would like to change the chime tone on one of the doors, I have the "Instruction Manual" and the "Installation Manual" but neither provide...

View more questions Search