Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maya4381 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2010, 09:50 AM
    How can I be adopted?
    I have made a decision that I want to be adopted. My parents are illgetimate drunks and in their eyes the only person that exists in my brother. People might here that and say oh she is just overeacting,but no I am actually making an understatement. Everyone around me notices it,and is says "that isn't fair". It isn't like I am starving for attention or anything. It is just that me and my brother(my brother has done a lot of VERY serious things that I would not even imagine doing!) can do the same thing,and he gets excuses made for him(he isn't like disabled or anything,he is perfectly normal!),but I get cussed out and called all kind of names,and they tell me you are "going to grow up and find yourself in a corner talking to yourself", or they tell me "you are a stupid b&*%$" and just last night, my mother said "I'm going to have some *people*(she actually said their names) beat your a&%. It has been times when my mother has been in one of her drunken rages and started blaming me for her problems. I don't want to go into foster care. I just want to be adopted,and would like to know the process?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 4, 2010, 10:12 AM

How old are you? Are your parents willing to sign you away?
    maya4381 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2010, 08:25 AM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    I'm 16. Yes.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 5, 2010, 09:27 AM

Honey, the odds of someone wanting to adopt a 16 year old are VERY low.

Most people wanting to adopt are looking for a small child or infant to raise, not a 16 year old with her own problems that is just going to move out in 2 years.

The best place for you to start is with your school counselor. You cannot put yourself up for adoption as a minor. In addition, without knowing parents who will adopt you ahead of time, your parents cannot simply relinquish their rights and let the state (on taxpayer money) try to place you, and no adoption agency is going to have any idea what to do with you.

Your best bet actually MIGHT be foster care. You could live in a stable home, with people who care for you, without the expense and added legal issues surrounding an adoption.

Talk to your school counselor. In your area, there might be other options as well. Your counselor will have a much better idea what those options are, and can help you determine what the next step to take should be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I was adopted(birth parents are dead) but my adopted father is a deadbeat dad.. [ 7 Answers ]

I was adopted(birth parents are dead) but my adopted father is a deadbeat dad... My mother re-married & he husband (stepfather) has been what I consider my father. How can I have my adopted fathers name taken off my birth certificate & add my step fathers name? My mother is now deceased. The...

I want to be adopted [ 8 Answers ]

I'm 14 and I'm not very happy with my family where I'm at. My mom is bipolar and she's hard to deal with. She has her mood swings and she sleeps all day sometime and then sometimes she stays up all night. She takes her emotions out on us especially when she doesn't talk to her boyfriend. She and my...

Want to be adopted [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 16 years old. My parents want me out of there house. My best friends mom wants to take me in but my parents don't want any legal responsibility for me. They have agreed to let me live with her. But under the conditions they don't have any responsibility for me whatsoever.

Not Adopted, Given away. [ 5 Answers ]

I am 43 years old, and have been searhing for my birth parents for years. I have used Pay search sites, Phone books, Google, Msn, and Yahoo searches with no luck at all. {personal info removed-<>} I also have reason to believe that I have an older Sister and Brother, and my mother may have...

Adopted in OH, Live in MD, husband wants to adopt my adopted son [ 1 Answers ]

I adopted my son 2 yrs ago in Ohio (single adoption), I live in Maryland. My soon to be husband wants to adopt him after we are married. Would we have to do it in OH or MD?

View more questions Search