Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ElizabethJane Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2010, 07:31 AM
    Humming noise stops when out of house for several days.
    I hear a hum throughout the house that is constant. However, I noticed that when when I return to the house after a vacation it takes about 2 days before the noise returns. I feel it is water related but don't know how. Can you help me with any suggestions as to what is causing the humming to return after being out of the house for several days.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 4, 2010, 07:39 AM

Have you tried to investigate where the source may be? Try placing a glass of water half full or so in different areas of the home and see if you can detect any ripples. Is anyone else hearing this noise? If the answer is no to all of the above then maybe the noise isn't in any pipes but rather its from an electrical field. EMF can cause many things to happen and people have different sensetivities to it. Another source can be a doorbell. They are usually D/C powered and have a transformer that can hum. Some lighting can also cause noise.

Try investigating on your own and if you have no luck call in a professional to have it checked out.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 4, 2010, 11:53 AM

There may be many (many) possible causes of "humming" noise in your house. The cause noise may be caused by:

1. speakers
    2. computer monitor, hard drive, speakers, TV, dvd player, DVCR, cable box etc.
    3. modem, router
    4. ceiling fan
    5. fridge
    6. radio
    7. neighborhood's pool equipment in distance
    8. freeway / highway close by
    9. icemaker
    10. High voltage line over the roof, or close by
    11. Hot water recirculating pump
    12. Leaking toilet
    13. Leaking sprinklers
    14. Leak in plumbing system somewhere in the house
    15. Door bell
    16. Any electronic device that uses transformer
    17. Automatic garage door opener
    18. Reverse osmosis system
    19. Water conditioning system
    20. Sauna / steam
    21. Any electronic device / gadget in your house
    22. A/C unit or heater ( yours or one of your neighbors' )

23. Hate to point this one out but many people with "humming" noise in their head. This comes from exposure to noise. Once you are away in quiet place, your head relaxes and you will loose that hum. However, it will return upon your return home.

Furthermore, if you live in high populated area than there is somewhat audible (elevated) noise pollution that never stops...

... and many more possible causes.

Best thing is to try to isolate the noise. It will take some time to do so but it can be accomplished. First, see if you can find out whether it is coming from Outside or Inside of your house. Then look for its cause accordingly in different places around your house or go room by room. You can do experiments like turning OFF main electrical circuit breaker for over night and see if humming stopped. Next night, turn main shut off valve OFF and see if it still continues. And so on..

Back to you... Let us know how it went... Milo
    ligonier Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2011, 02:18 PM
    I had the low grade humming in our house and after turning all power off it was still there. It has finally gone away and I think it was due to a slight leak in a pipe right off the well pump. It went away after we fixed that. I had also called the power company and told them about it, but I do not know if they ever checked the tranformer or not. But the transformer was not actually making noise so I think it was the pressure in the pipes. This would be consistent with your problem if you are losing water somewhere. Good luck.

Mar 20, 2011, 04:44 AM
    Comment on ligonier's post
    We also are losing water somewhere but have not been able to identify where. I would like to know how you found the leak.

Apr 16, 2011, 04:14 AM
    Comment on Milo Dolezal's post
    I know the noise is coming from inside the house- I hear it as soon as I enter the garage. We have systematically turned off applicances, lights, TVs, keeping each off for at least overnight put have not been able to isolate the problem. Have done the same with toilets, faucets, showers, etc. I can't figure out why the noise goes away after we are out of the house for two days, yet is still there when I wake up every morning and nothing is being used during the night. I'll try things like door bell and remote control.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 16, 2011, 04:58 AM

Thank you for coming back and updating us. It not only helps us but also people that may have the same problem down the road.

Apr 25, 2011, 03:46 AM
    The humming is still here but again something strange has happened. My daughter and her family - 4 people in all - arrived here for a visit last Monday. By Tuesday night, the noise was gone. They left on Friday, and by Saturday morning, the noise was back. We live in Florida and it was hot last week, so everyone was showering, maybe more than once a day. Could the use of 'more than usual' water (or hot water) have anything to do with the noise going away? On the other side, the noise seems to go away when we are out of the house for as little as overnight, which means that no water was used for a 24 hour period. I know there is a solution, but I need to figure out the problem first. Any plumbers out there? What would make a noise go away with either not using water or using a lot of it? Could pressure be building up in the hot water heater when we don't use enough of it? But of course that doesn't explain why the noise is gone when we come home from an overnight trip!
    dionysus45 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2015, 09:09 AM
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]hey was just researching this as I have this, noticedthis , mine it sounds like their a cat stuck in my wall and it purrsreally low pitched...

Here's how I came across this page
    [COLOR=#0000ff]https://www.google.co.nz/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=tGcBVty1JqPu8wen4a_gDQ&gws_rd=ssl#q= my+wall+sounds+like+its+purring[/COLOR]

Here's the sound

[COLOR=#0000ff]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfdoigG75dQ[/COLOR]

Of course this is way louder on a phone recording

I also had a cricket stuck down my shower hole.. you can imagine how loud theyare... amped by the sound bouncing in the bathroom walls, think there might bea hole under the house that insects can get in... under the shower.

So mines next to my pillow... in the bedroom

And my bathrooms has its own different problems.

Dumb noises aye... and only at night.

Don't know if you're the same problem... but some info! My research has come tobee nests. Think that's my answer

A hive of bees gives off a low buzzing noise. It's all the bees in the hiveflapping their wings to regulate the temperature. Depending on how thick thewall is between the hive and the inside of your house, it could be veryfaint.

Of course, the bigger the hive gets, the louder it gets, and the more expensiveit will be to finally fix. Thousands of bees make a lot of honey, and havingyour wall full of honey isn't as great as it sounds at first.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Also mine stops and start it can back there one night and not the next...

I guess mines only purs when they need to cool it down.

Don't know it the same thing but still 4 articles on this website with same noises...

Try asking Google a question... I just asked it... my wall sounds like its purring

Found myself here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mysterious humming noise in the house [ 113 Answers ]

Hello, I hope you folks can help me. Recently, we have been hearing a loud, low frequency "hum" throughout our house. I have turned the main power off to determine whether it's electrical. It's not. The noise does sound like a "fog horn" going off several blasts at a time and the noise level...

Humming Noise in House [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been searching on Internet for some answers to the new "humming, pulsating sound that has begun to plague my house and cause me countless sleepless nights for the past three to four months. Like some of the other responders, I have turned all the power off to the house to see if that is...

Humming noise [ 1 Answers ]

I hear a humming noise coming from my attic. It does not seem connected to the AC unit or Water Heater. The noise comes and goes often without any specific pattern

View more questions Search