Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2010, 07:09 AM
    Wingers SHOVING tax cuts down our throats.
    Hello:

I LOVE talking like a winger; "... the American people oppose the GOP tax plan by a WHOPPING 74%, yet they want to SHOVE IT DOWN OUR THROATS anyway... " Do the wingers think they're the only ones who can say the shove it words??

How come they CARE what Americans want only SOME of the time?

excon
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 4, 2010, 07:26 AM

I think with this one its more of a matter of putting the cart before the horse. Since those in current rule seem to not be able to put the brakes on spending and there seems no end in sight. Its hard to ask for more money to pay for things. Its like the cartoon Popeye. The character named Wimpy always wanted that hamburger today. To be paid for later. (Tuesday). That and the rise in insurance along with healthcare most Americans are struggling enough. To add even more burden to the uncertainty of this ecenomic recovery we might be in is lunacy.

As far as you using the term "shove it" sure you can use it but Ive never seen you use it in reference to the end your currently talking about . ;)
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2010, 07:39 AM

Or you could phrase it this way, only 14% of Americans want the Bush tax cuts to expire. Or what if they asked the question this way, are you for or against the largest tax increase in U.S. history?
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2010, 07:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    To add even more burden to the uncertainty of this ecenomic recovery we might be in is lunacy.
    Hello dad:

I've heard that viewpoint. Certainly, we'll discuss it, but the POINT of my post is that your viewpoint is the MINORITY viewpoint - and not by a little bit either. Like you guys continually said about Obamacare, the American people DON'T want it. Why can your side SHOVE it down our throats, when it's CLEAR, we don't want it?? Is it, like you said about Obamacare, that we don't know what's good for us?? Doesn't that sound elitist to you?

excon
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 4, 2010, 07:59 AM

Elitist ? Yes and that is what our government has become. It's a sad day in out history that we have gone so far and now its teetering in ruin. I think the people lost a lot of faith when we were told that "they" have to pass it to know what is in it. To me it's a direct violation of the contitutions principle of representative government. Having endured that slapdown and now etched into the so called short term memory of the american public it just becomes yet another example of the eilitists attitudes that have taken over Washington.

The only way we are going to change that is to go out and vote at every election and at every level. The only way for the good of the people to survive as a principle is to have those making the rules actually live under them.
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2010, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    what if they asked the question this way, are you for or against the largest tax increase in U.S. history?
    Hello Steve:

You too, distort the question... If you asked the question accurately, it would ask the people if they were against the largest tax increase in U.S. history - for the richest 2% of the people.

Why do you distort the question, like you accuse others of doing? Is it because you fear the answer? I think so.

excon
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2010, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Elitist ? Yes and that is what our government has become.
    Hello again, dad:

The Tea Partier inside me hoped the government got the message the last time around. But, it's business as usual. We're $14 trillion in debt and headed for a cliff that's going to make this last dip look like a walk in the park. Adding another trillion or two more, depending on who you believe, is NOT solving the debt crisis. Anyone who says that unemployment benefits need to be paid for, but the tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires don't have to, is NOT serious about our problems...

This is like a poker game being raided... When the cops come through the door EVERYBODY grabs for the whole pot. Now, I COULD sit here pontificating about how WRONG that is, or I could grab my share. I'll pontificate later.

Buy gold.

excon
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2010, 10:04 AM

I'm just wondering, has Lurch paid the taxes on his yacht yet? Warren Buffet and Bill Gates have been begging congress to tax them more, if they'd just write the check I'd be happy to see that the treasury gets it.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2010, 03:37 PM

I know a face saving way for the Dems to do the right thing.. Since President Bush signed the law that said the tax rates would raise at the end of the year the Dems could say they are moving to stop the Bush tax increase and extend the current tax rates for all Americans.

It's just a matter of how the rhetoric is framed... right ?
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2010, 02:52 AM
    The Republicans ran in the 2010 campaign that they wanted an extension of the current tax rates for all . That is why they had one of the biggest midterm tsunamis in American election history.

Now in the lame duck session ,while the Dems are still the majority in the House ,the Dems are wasting valuable time going through a series of show votes they know will never become law. Harry Reid has also set up a series of unrelated show votes to appease the Dem extreme base.

That has left the President to negotiate with the Republicans in an attempt to avoid the train wreck Madame Mimi and Reid are steering towards. Every one knows the compromise will be a temporary extension of the current tax rates in exchange for an extension of so called jobless benefits

Yesterday the Senate Dems failed to break a Republican filibuster on the tax issue.

The doomed votes mean Democrats ultimately may need to agree to a deal that runs contrary to their campaign promises over the past 10 years. Rather than eliminating the upper-end tax cuts, Democrats will likely cede to Republican demands to renew all of the Bush tax cuts for several years — a move that many in the party view as a major defeat.
    Now perhaps the games are over ,and they can finally get around to dealing with the issue.
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1210/45953.html

Uber Member

Dec 5, 2010, 06:06 AM

Hello again, tom:

Nahhh... You, like your brethren, misread the results... Adding $700 Billion to the deficit WITHOUT improving the economy will doom you guys too.

It IS a shame the Dems ain't got no balls.

excon
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2010, 06:35 AM

Hello again, tom:

Regarding my post above... You are to be forgiven for misreading the election results. Your side has been trumpeting your version, with nary a peep from the audacious one. So, the myth becomes reality if there's no leader to trumpet the counternarrative.

That's been the record of this presidency... Give up the fight, BEFORE there's even a fight. How could you have been SO right about him??

excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2010, 05:39 PM

The President took a step in the right direction today byagreeing to extend current tax rates for all American taxpayers in exchange for extending unemployment benefits.

Let's see if Madame Mimi et al go along or are they willing to risk the charge of being the party that allowed one of the biggest tax increases in "the worse economy since the Great Depression "
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 6, 2010, 05:44 PM

A real compromise would have been negotiating the income level that doesn't/does get tax cuts. Instead of the cutoff being $250,000, make it $500,000 or even $750,000.
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2010, 06:02 PM

A real compromise would have been negotiating the income level that doesn't/does get tax cuts. Instead of the cutoff being $250,000, make it $500,000 or even $750,000.
    In reality he can't . There is no real consensus to "soak the rich". He couldn't even muster enough votes in his own party to put the Schumer plan on the table.

Plus there is still the real threat that the Dems will punitively increase taxes on all if they continue their uncompromising position. This may be the 1st time in his Presidency he leads the Congress instead of the other way around.

The Republicans for the same reason had to compromise away the extension of the unemployment benefits even though they are fundamentally opposed to it.

In addition ,the President thinks that START is something he has to get done in the lame duck. I don't know what the rush is ,but he thinks there is one . So I think that it's a possibility it will happen.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2010, 07:14 AM

I have a better Compromise... how about the roughtly 40% of the public that pays NO federal taxes now... be forced to pay their fair share rather than being leeches that suck at the teet of the American Taxpayer.
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2010, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    be forced to pay their fair share rather than being leeches that suck at the teet of the American Taxpayer.
    Hello again, smoothy:

You're batting 1.000. ALWAYS wrong...

It IS true, that 40% of Americans don't pay federal INCOME taxes... But, they PAY plenty of taxes... They pay employment taxes, payroll taxes, unemployment taxes, city sales taxes, county sales taxes, excise taxes, gasoline taxes, telephone taxes, highway tolls, drivers license fees, license plate fees, property taxes, and a few others that don't come to mind.

Aren't you glad I'm here to fix what you post?

excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2010, 08:02 AM

In other words they get to pay the taxes and fees that are logical while the rest of us also have to pay for a tax designed specifically to increase the size scope and power of the Federal Government .
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2010, 08:06 AM

Hello again, tom and smoothy:

I got it. You don't believe in a graduated tax. You think the poor should pay the same rates as the rich... I understand.

We disagree.

excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2010, 08:07 AM

I don't believe in the income tax. But if we have one ,it should be as flat as possible .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bush tax cuts for the wealthy [ 78 Answers ]

Hello: They SAY that if the Bush tax cuts are extended to the richest people amongst us, they'll create jobs. They certainly might. I don't know. But, we don't have to guess. Instead of just giving them a tax break and HOPE they'll do the right thing, why don't we give them a tax break WHEN...

Tax cuts and uncertainty [ 11 Answers ]

Hello: Republicans want the tax cuts for the richest Americans to continue... They SAY that those people will create jobs... But, I don't know... I think MOST of those people are like John Kerry. He'll get a HUGE tax break, but I don't think he'll be creating many jobs. You know, buying...

Tax cuts? What tax cuts? [ 24 Answers ]

Grassfire's research team is examining the budget right now and we Have already identified dozens on line item tax increases: --$645 billion global warming tax affecting every consumer. --$8 billion increased Medicare for "higher income" people. --$636 billion to...

Middle Class Tax cuts [ 17 Answers ]

Well the details are in on that tax cut for 95% of us . Time to start planning on how to spend it now. Sit down and sharpen your Dixon #2 Ticonderoga Pencil . Here's the details : You get an addition $13 bucks a week in your paycheck starting sometime in the spring! Beginning next year the...

View more questions Search