Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sniperblade9 Posts: 138, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2010, 01:21 AM
    Making gaming computer
    I want to make my own gaming computer and I don't know exactly where to start. Any websites or tips or anything would help. Also any good things to use inside my computer.I know that making your own gaming PC is better and cheaper than most of the ones sold.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2010, 03:34 AM
    How to Build the Ultimate Gaming PC, Step by Step | Maximum PC
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 4, 2010, 07:08 AM

The first step you need to take is set a budget for yourself. Getting the latest and greatest can be very expensive. The good thing is you have time on your side. How much are you thinking of spending to get this "dream machine"?

Dec 4, 2010, 11:25 AM
    Well I was going to spend the minimum for right now maybe 600 for now then I'll add more expensive gear in later and watch the prices go down and better gear come in. I know 600 isn't probably enough for everything and maybe not even the bare essentials, but I'm saving money and want to make sure its perfect and will run great. I want a quad core for sure and perfect graphics. I want to for sure have a good cpu because my call of duty black ops on the computer maxes out my cpu at 100% and freezes and that's just a big hit in the head that you need a better PC or to change some crap. I want cooling in it also. Not really sure what case to put around it or how big it would have to be etc... I'm just not sure on what's better for gaming pcs or just running better like vista vs windows 7 or the types of graphics card. Lots of thinking, but it will be fun. Also, this is good practice for me since I'm going into computers for college.
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 4, 2010, 11:35 AM

Ok, the first to look at in your list is 1) Power Supply 2) Motherboard.

Make those choices first. Those will tell you where you can go from that point on. Don't get tied up in overclocking and cooling. Its way over rated. Watch for deals as they come along. $600 really isn't going to get you where you want except to get you started in a few things. A direction of sorts. For gaming the OS needed for best performance is either XP or win7. XP allows for more tweaks. Don't skimp when it comes to good memory. Its one of the hearts of the system. Modern motherboards that allow SLI can have more then 1 video card and that can be an added extra. In truth building a great gaming system for anything under $1,000 is difficult at best. You may just want to watch and bookmark and save till your ready as things change all the time.

Dec 4, 2010, 11:53 AM
    Ya right now I'm doing more research and just getting basics. I knew 600 wouldn't be enough. And how does 2 graphic card help the computer? I don't know much about mother boards compared to everything else. I dislike how xp and windows 7 look and the simplicity. I heard from many people that windows 7 is just a attempt to make it more mac like. To me vista is easier and nicer, but I don't know much. When I went from my old xp computer to vista, I loved it.
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 4, 2010, 01:00 PM

In an sli style motherboard if you have 2 or more video cards they work with each other and in effect double or tripple the speed.

Either win7 or Xp can look like each other and vista. The main difference is in how they opperate. That is what is important to you.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 4, 2010, 02:43 PM

What they're trying to say is the OS is gong to use the resources on your machine as well as the games you play on it. You want an OS that doesn't drain all your resources just to operate (ie: Vista)

Vista uses a lot of the machines resources for itself and trying to build a gaming PC off a Vista machine is less ideal then using a lesser resources hog like XP.

Also, CODVII's system requirements recommend; at the upend, a 2.93 Ghz Dual-Core. A quad-core is over-doing it don't you think? Black Op's is one of the most demanding games as far as resources are concerned and any other game should run fine if you can run BOs.

Dec 4, 2010, 07:30 PM
    So if I get 2 graphic cards it basically makes the computer run easier and run as a higher graphics card? I'm probably going to get a windows 7 since it's newer and it has lots of customization. About black ops, I looked online and I'm not sure if it's just my computer, but other with quad cores and better gear than mine have the same problems with the cpu reaching 100% and it freezes. Just the start up screen of black ops runs at least 50% of the cpu. I run my computer on lowest graphic settings and no shadows and it still does that and it's on highest priority. I run modern warfare 2 with max everything and it runs fine. I'm going to want 2 graphic cards so what size of a casing should I buy? I want a regular size desktop.
    Clemintine Posts: 105, Reputation: 30

Dec 6, 2010, 01:41 PM
    Check out how to make yourself a quiet gaming computer, there are certain components and cases to look into that work just as well as the other stuff but are QUIET. Believe me when all your fans are going you will be glad you looked into that haa... You can find all the parts your needs (quiet and others) off http://www.newegg.com/ Or .ca if you're Canadian! (All my computer whiz friends and myself shop here for most of our electronic based needs!)
    I used to use TinyXP for gaming and it was fine, since I have switched to windows7 though I haven't notice a difference in how anything runs... 7 seems to be pretty much the superior for me. Vista I had at one point and it was Horrible, personal experience it is a no go for my gaming needs since the OS takes up way too much memory to run itself.
    2 Graphics cards... They don't really give that good a performance boost, it isn't really worth it, you would be better off buying one awesome video card with the money you would have spent on two. Unless your making an uber top of the line 7 video card gaming machine system then sure it might help but otherwise... not worth it! Haha
    Also, two video cards would cause your computer to generate SO MUCH HEAT. Generally not a problem if your doing top of the line you would install a liquid cooling system, but more money there and your computer would not be a normal desktop sized at this point. Without a cooling system, You would have to make sure your computer is not resting on carpet and in a room with windows and extra fans and stuff.
    I'm wondering how much of a gaming system you would like, you want your games run smooth and on full... All you need is a solid machine.
    Though I am a fan of building your own gaming computer (Cheaper in comparison to buying, and makes it easier for you to modify!) You can get away with buying one from a store and modifying it to your needs... Still for a decent price.
    I bought my computer at the source and all I did was buy a new video card, and a friend gave me a power supply for it, mine does exactly all the gaming I need (Though it's loud as hell) So just saying you can do the bare minimum of effort and get a computer that will run your games just fine! I think my computer back in the day was 500, and the card I bought was 179, nowadays it would be cheaper...
    I suggest the cheap route too, since technology upgrades so fast in 2 to 5 years what you once had that was awesome is now only good =/
    Good luck I hope any of my advice helps!

Dec 6, 2010, 01:48 PM
    Comment on Clemintine's post
    I worded that wrong: If you have one card and if you add a second THAT doesn't really give a great boost to the performance of the machine. The difference is very very Slight and not really worth it. Hence my suggestion to get one very good card...
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 6, 2010, 02:32 PM

Comment on Clemintine's post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I worded that wrong: If you have one card and if you add a second THAT doesn't really give a great boost to the performance of the machine. The difference is very very Slight and not really worth it. Hence my suggestion to get one very good card...

I have to ask if you actually experienced this or your speaking from someone else's experience? With 2 cards in SLI mode its almost twice as fast because they are tied together. Like the difference between a dual core and single core. But your machine has to be able to handle it. Also you don't need fancy coolers if your machine is set up right. Most people that need those are doing overclocking. In this case that really isn't needed.

Dec 6, 2010, 02:47 PM
    Comment on califdadof3's post
    Not my personal experience, it's true they might have done it improperly but even from reading around on the net it seems that's the general consensus. Though even if I'm flawed about that, it's still a much more expensive route to take!

Dec 6, 2010, 02:53 PM
    Not just the expense of another card, but to upgrade the computer to get the power needed to be able to support two video cards yadda yadda... You can have just as good game time with 1 card is my main point really, just my suggestion!
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 6, 2010, 03:01 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not just the expense of another card, but to upgrade the computer to get the power needed to be able to support two video cards yadda yadda... You can have just as good game time with 1 card is my main point really, just my suggestion!

What you have to try to keep in mind is gaming is a personal experience. That experience can vary widely because so many factors go into it. The reason for mentioning MB's with SLI capability is because it is out there already. Its by no means a "have to have". But when looking at now and in the future flexibility is the key.

Dec 6, 2010, 04:14 PM
    It's my own experience. So I've decided to scrap my older computer into a bigger case and use what I can and get what I can't transfer new into that. I'm going to make it into a quad core. Now what I'm having trouble with is picking a case since I don't know what is going into it exactly yet. I don't know if I should get one with a power supply, how big it should be, and how many places for fans etc.
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 6, 2010, 06:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperblade9 View Post
    It's my own experience. So I've decided to scrap my older computer into a bigger case and use what I can and get what I can't transfer new into that. I'm going to make it into a quad core. Now what I'm having trouble with is picking a case since I don't know what is going into it exactly yet. I don't know if I should get one with a power supply, how big it should be, and how many places for fans etc.
    First your going to have to find a motherboard then the case. The motherboard will determine what case you can go with. I personally use a thermalake case. You might want to look at something like that and see how it fits your needs.

Dec 6, 2010, 09:14 PM

Okay well I was looking at probably using this for the motherboard. Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard and this case for price and everything. Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case It wasn't a Thermaltake, but it has the power area and area where the motherboard goes in open. Would I have to buy a special plate to fit in that or will the mother board come with one? And will the power supply and graphics card come with one? Before that case I was looking at this Thermaltake, but I don't think it's as good. Thermaltake M9 VI1000BWS Case at Xoxide!
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 7, 2010, 05:20 AM

Again, Its all about personal choices. I didn't read all the reviews on the MB but it seems your either going to love it or hate it. Keep in mind some come with lifetime warranty's. The specs look great on it.

As far as the case it looks good.

Great start on your shopping list to your new build.

Dec 7, 2010, 02:37 PM
    Since I'm switching my slimline computer to the new one, could you tell me all of what I will need to replace?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Specs for computer I'm buying soon, will this be good for gaming? [ 7 Answers ]

Power Supply 420W Processor ( Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8300 (4x 2.5GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1333FSB) ) Motherboard ( Asus P5N-D Nvidia nForce 750i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Dual PCI-E MB EPU Technology ) Memory ( 4 GB DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module...

Computer gaming [ 2 Answers ]

My 7 year old is wanting to make computer games. Is there a good starter program that I can use to help him make video games?

Making computer faster [ 12 Answers ]

This is quite long, but I am trying to be as specific as possible to get the proper replies. I have a few questions about this subject, so please bear with me... I want my computer to run faster: download faster, boot up faster, not bog down with a few programs running & generally perform better. ...

AOL making my computer reboot [ 17 Answers ]

Ok, this has been going on since February. I have AOL open all the time while I'm at work. I'm also usually running quickbooks 08, and other various documents. It doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all! Other times it happens as many as 6 times a day. I will go to click on...

View more questions Search