Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cozoDOP2 Posts: 112, Reputation: 0

Dec 3, 2010, 08:55 PM
    If your computer has enough Power to do what you want, can it last 20 years?
    The reason why I just couldn't do any of what I wanted to do in my previous computers is cause they were not powerful enough.. and the programs didn't exists for them. I do 3D animation and my Computer now can do everything I want. Can a computer last 20 years. Or is it inescapable to buy a computer every 5 years
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2010, 09:09 PM
    Well, chances are technology will advance, and you will want to do more with your computer. Especially with 3D. 3D is advancing every day and becoming more realistic. And that higher level of realism demands more power from your hardware. So in short, as long as you don't plan to use any new software, and barring any unforeseen faults, the machine should last you quite some time.

However, having said that, I should let you know that after 5 years, you can usually get several times the machine you have for only a few hundred dollars.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 09:37 PM

Computers are often outdated, before 5 years, esp if you are doing more advanced work on them

I have a 8 year old lap top , that I just replaced this week, but will still leave the lap top in my studio for checking email,
    But my new netbook, is twice as powerful as my larger old laptop, and it is just a entry level that is most likely out dated before I bought it
    Coke_addicted Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Dec 18, 2010, 01:07 AM
    Well it really depends what computer you buy and what you want to do on it. If you are working on animation then you are constantly upgrading your software every couple of years which would require higher specs but if somebody was just using it for web browsing or small tasks then yes I think if the computer doesn't break then it can last 20 years. If you buy a high end computer with loads of RAM and a fast CPU etc then it will last longer but are you willing to spend the amount that they are asking for or is it cheaper to upgrade every 5 years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Dell computer power button is blinking orange & no power [ 3 Answers ]

It was working fine. I changed the monitor and now the power light on the CPU is blinking orange and will not power up. Please help! It is a Dell Pentium 4. The monitor worked fine on another computer. I hooked up the old monitor and now it is still doing the same thing. PLEASE HELP!

Power to computer [ 14 Answers ]

This is either a computer or home electric problem. This may be long... First I built a new computer from scratch. The first time trying to boot it up I received no signal to my monitor. All computer components seemed to get power (i.e. fans running). After a lot of searching on the...

Power to computer? [ 2 Answers ]

This is either a computer or home electric problem. This may be long... First I built a new computer from scratch. The first time trying to boot it up I received no signal to my monitor. All computer components seemed to get power (i.e. fans running). After a lot of searching on the internet...

No power at all to my computer having just built it. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all. Please reply to this question only in the Desktop section as i have put it there too as i got no reply in this section. Thanks. Just put together (for the first time in my life) a computer. Dual Core 4600x AM2 computer with liquid cooled heat sink and Asus M2N32 SLi deluxe...

View more questions Search