Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Krissy559 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2010, 07:57 PM
    Can I get my deposits back if I leave a rental before lease is up but house is in pre
    I was renting a house for a year and paid on time each month. I wanted to renew my lease but they wouldn't because the owner wasn't sure what was going to happen with the house. I did month to month and started looking at places to move to but wasn't having luck. But then they called and asked if I wanted to do a 6 month lease and I agreed because I wanted stability. Then an opportunity came up for me to move into a house my sister bought. I left 3 months earlier than the 6 months. They told me they are keeping my $2700 deposit and I can't use the any of the security deposits towards my last 3 months of rent. So not only do I not get any money back but I Also owe them over $3000. The last week in the house a notice was posted on the door stating "NOTICE OF DEFAULT AND ELECTION TO SELL UNDER DEED OF TRUST" it also says the house will be auctioned on 3/29/11 which my lease was up on 2/28/11. Is there anything I can do. I would love to get my deposit back but I would be just as happy to just not have to owe $3000. I wouldn't even care if I didn't get the. Deposit back just. As long as I didn't owe money. I'm a newly single mom which was one of the other reasons for moving because I was scrapping money together to pay the rent and all the utilities anyway. I need help!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 3, 2010, 08:14 PM

Unless the lease has an early termination clause that include penalties, they can't do that. Yes they can withhold your deposit, But they have to give you an accounting of how the deposit was used within a statutory time frame. They can't withhold the deposit AND charge you for the balance of the lease. Unless the lease allows it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 08:43 PM

The home being in or not being in a foreclosure status, has nothing to do with you owing rent and the lease being valid.

You will owe exactly what the lease says, so what the lease says happens to the deposit if you default, is what is suppose to happen, and what you owe or don't owe will be decided by the lease
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 4, 2010, 07:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Krissy559 View Post
    ... I left 3 months earlier than the 6 months. They told me they are keeping my $2700 deposit and I can't use the any of the security deposits towards my last 3 months of rent. ...
    In most states, they have a duty to mitigate their damages by promptly finding a new tenant. Since the property is in foreclosure, that might not be practical (After foreclosure, if it is completed, a new tenant will have rights to remain for a certain time any way. But many potential tenants don't fully understand this.). But they still have to try. If they fail to apply the deposit toward your rent and sue you for it, you have two very good arguments that you don't owe it:
    • whether they failed to mitigate; and
    • whether they improperly failed to apply the deposit toward the rent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Early termination rental house lease florda [ 1 Answers ]

I need to terminate my lease early on the home that I rent in Orlando Florida. My lease does not address early termination of the lease at all which is very unusual. It does not address what fees or conditions apply for early termination. There is only one clause about abandonment. My lease is...

Breaking Rental house lease due to state job relocation [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering If I can break my lease in Texas because I just got a job in another city in Texas working for the state as a corrections officer? My lease doesn't end for 5 more months and I have to move in about a month. My landlord told me I couldn't get out of the lease one time before...

Early Termination of Lease for Rental House [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everybody, Right now I am living in 1 Bedroom apartment and I need to move to 2 Bedroom Apartment because my family is coming. Actually I didn't know that its require 2 bedroom apartment for 3 people. Now I have 1 year lease for this 1 bedroom apartment and when I had a talked with my...

Ex Not On Rental Lease & Won't Leave [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter rented her 1st apartment here in Florida and moved her boyfriend in. It didn't work out he won't leave what can she or her landlord do to evict him legally and quickly? She doesn't want to leave she is the only one on the apartment lease and the utilities are in her name also. Help!! ...

View more questions Search