Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ennazus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2010, 05:08 PM
    I am an employee w, Alberta based company w, is merging, being absorbed by a global a
    I am an employee w, Alberta based company w, is merging, being absorbed by a global accounting firm.
    I had an injury which resulted in STD and I am now on LTD, my employer issued me a record of employment; which states illness or injury as cause, and further indicates my date to return is unknown. I also have a hand-written note suggesting, that it is simply something that occurs when there is an interruption in wages, and not to worry.
    Over the past 12 months I have been treated as an employee on disability, with access to the offices, connected to company website and all files, attended for meetings and conferences. So now, with the merger the new company is firm that they will re-hire all staff under advisement, but because I am not working, that it does not apply to me. As well there is no conditional offer of employment, and group medical / dental ceases to exist as the old carrier is in relation to that co. and the new carrier is not covering as I am not re-hired.
    MY QUESTION; Am I legally an employee, does my company have an obligation to me? I have not been formally terminated and until this merger was on the table, I was always considered and treated as an employee. Thank you?

Check out some similar questions!

May a full-time employee also work as a temporary employee for the same company? [ 3 Answers ]

We are a small CBRF (community based residential facility) in Wisconsin, with 12 full-time employees. In the past when a full-time employee could not work we either have a temporary/pool employee to work ($12.00 per hour). However, sometimes pool employees are unavailable. In that case we have...

Lien in Ontario based on breach of contract in Alberta? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I'm an Alberta resident who was buying a Ontario property with my commonlaw partner/girlfriend for 4 years (with interuptions) Although we were rocky we had been back togeher for two months consistently cohabitating and working on the project. To make a sad story short just the basics...

Buying Stock From A Company That Is Absorbed By Another Company. [ 2 Answers ]

I am interested in buying stock in a company that is struggling and may be bought by another company, or may file for bankruptcy. If I buy common stock from this company and they are absorbed by another company does my stock value immediately become the same value as the purchasing company? Also...

Conservatives have never fully absorbed the fact that America is based on universal I [ 18 Answers ]

"While conservatives like Steyn call for a display of this confidence in reaction to controversies like the "cartoon jihad," it is they who lack confidence in our civilization’s ability to absorb and assimilate immigrants. This was honestly confessed in a March 30 column by Peggy Noonan in the Wall...

Global acceptance credit company [ 3 Answers ]

I have a debt for $2600 that I owe to collection agency global acceptance credit. If I pay them monthly payments less than what they want can they still take me to court?

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.