Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ProRachel Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2007, 08:57 AM
    When is the proper time to let a tenant sign a lease.
    Help!!

My husband and I have decided to rent our home. We found renters back in October. My husband handled everything. (Sort of.)

Against my approval he let them sign the lease by only giving us half the deposit, not including having first months rent! We were first time landlords and they were a young couple with four small children; so I thought to myself; well, my husband was just trying to be charitable and understanding.

What a terrible mistake! By the time they got us the rest of the deposit, first months rent was already late. It was after the second call about the rent being two weeks late that they informed us that they were not only NOT going to pay rent, but they also informed us based on Florida laws it could take us UP TO 6 months to get them out. We found out soon after that they were evicted from their last residence and planned on going to back to Michigan in a couple months, so signing a year lease with us was just a ploy to have a place to stay until they were due to go back (for whatever reason).

Thanks to our lawyer, and a not so cheap price, we managed to get them out in about four weeks. But not before we gave them almost their entire deposit to just get the heck out of town as soon as possible. This young couple was obviously some what "professionals". They accomplished their goal in finding a place to stay for practically free for a couple months and we learned a hard lesson. So I thought...

Now, we have found possible new tenants. My husband told me he would be meeting with them this week to sign the lease. I asked him if he was clear on informing them that A DEPOSIT AND FIRST MONTH'S RENT WOULD BE DUE UPON SIGNING THE LEASE. He said no, that he only told them they had to have the deposit and could pay first months rent after they got moved in!! He obviously did not learn his lesson!! I begged and pleaded with my husband not to let them sign anything and reminded him of our last tenants and really insisted on him calling them back and telling them he made a mistake.

I really feel my husband isn't listening to me because he feels I don't know anymore on this subject than he does. So, for my information, my husbands information, and for our financial safety as well as the rights of our future tenants... WHEN IS THE PROPER TIME TO LET A TENANT SIGN A LEASE?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2007, 09:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ProRachel
    WHEN IS THE PROPER TIME TO LET A TENANT SIGN A LEASE?
    Hello Rachel:

When his wife tells him! He, actually, should not be the one doing business for you. It's fine that you don't know about this business. The lessons are expensive. But, it's very VERY expensive when you DON'T learn your lesson.

Take the keys away from him.

excon
    ProRachel Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2007, 09:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello Rachel:

When his wife tells him! He, actually, should not be the one doing business for you. It's fine that you don't know about this business. The lessons are expensive. But, it's very VERY expensive when you DON'T learn your lesson.

Take the keys away from him.

excon

Oh if only the world were as perfect and husbands doing what their wives told them to do...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 8, 2007, 09:57 AM
    Well it depends on what you as landlords want. I would require the deposit due when the lease is signed and the first months rental prior to moving in. It would be better to get them both at signing though.

I hope you did a credit check on the new tenants. I also hope you had your attorney school you on the legal liabilities of being a landlord. You were lucky the "pros" didn't trash the house.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Jan 8, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Hire a professional property manager to handle your investment property. Don't try to do this yourself AGAIN!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord wants to break tenant lease [ 5 Answers ]

I need to move back into a condo that I have leased. The lease expires in September 2007. I can not wait that long to make my move. Can I legally break that lease?

Breaking lease in Texas-Did not sign lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have shared a house for 15 months with two other roomates. There is a 2 year lease on the house. My name is on the lease with the other two roomates, BUT I did NOT sign the lease. I want to move out because I can no longer stand living with these two roomates. Am I free and clear to leave...

Did not sign lease [ 6 Answers ]

Someone added me to there lease as a occupant and I DID NOT sign any lease. Well now the person didn't pay as agreeded on there signed lease and the credit company is holding me responsible, what can I do about this? I have a copy of the lease and I am listed as a occupant but at the bottom of the...

Can I add a tenant in the middle of a lease? [ 5 Answers ]

A couple I rented to has separated and they were not married. She moved out, he stayed. He then asks me to add his "new" girlfriend to the lease. I have her sign a sheet that states she is entitled to all rules/regulations in the actual lease. Is she a valid tenant even though the other girl was...

Paid security deposit did not sign lease [ 7 Answers ]

I need to get accurate advice on my rights. I applied for an apartment and was accepted. The complex has a waiting list and I have had to wait for 2 months for the apartment to open up. I was required to give a $480 security deposit on receipt of the approval letter and have not yet signed the...

View more questions Search