Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kents5773 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Estate Washer, will Agitate but Does NOT spin
    My Estate Washer model TAWS700EQ1 will NOT spin.

In the spin cycle the motor makes a really loud humming noise but the tub does not spin.

Does anyone know which parts can be replced to fix this?
    urthewoman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2008, 09:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kents5773
    My Estate Washer model TAWS700EQ1 will NOT spin.

In the spin cycle the motor makes a really loud humming noise but the tub does not spin.

Does anyone know which parts can be replced to fix this?
    My washer does not spin out on the spin cycle, it just make a noise. Is there something I can do without calling a repair person?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jul 12, 2008, 04:36 PM
    Hello

You have to do a little research here, to check what is going on in your machine :

Older model washing machines have often a motor that actually consists of two different motors into one, one for washing and one for spinning. Each motor has it's own start capacitor.
    With newer models with electronic speed controllers spinning may be arranged either the same way, or via an electronic board.

In your specific case with an older model there are two possible causes for the spinning problem :

1 - The spinning motor itself is faulty. This actually seldom happens.
    2 - The start capacitor is faulty.This is a frequent problem.

The real problem is to find the start capacitor, as there are two of them : one for washing, and one for spinning.
    Start with removing the power : take the power cable out of the socket and put it on to the ground.

Find the two capacitors : they look very similar : an oval or round metal container with two or three connection points. Often with stick-on connections.
    Now disconnect one wire from one capacitor (does not matter which one).
    Reconnect the power, and see if the washing cycle still functions (empty drum).

If NOT so : this is the washing motor capacitor. Remove the power : take the power cable out of the socket and put it on to the ground.
    Careful : there still can be power on the capacitor, so do not touch both contacts.
    Reconnect the wire you took off. Disconnect the other capacitor, and bring it to a service shop for washing machines to have it tested and - if needed - to be replaced.

If so : this is the spinning motor capacitor. Remove the power : take the power cable out of the socket and put it on to the ground.
    Careful : there still can be power on the capacitor, so do not touch both contacts.
    Disconnect the second wire also and remove the capacitor. Bring it to a service shop for washing machines to have it tested and - if needed - to be replaced.

If you have a multi meter you can also measure the capacitor for leaking. Let me know if you want to do that, and I'll advice you what to do / how to do that.

Of course you can also come back to the board, discuss your findings and ask for advice !

Success !

:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE Washer will Spin but will not agitate [ 4 Answers ]

I have no experience with appliances, but before calling a repair man, I was wondering what might cause a GE washer to be able to spin, but not agitate. Could it be something that I could fix on my own? I hear it trying to agitate, but kind of makes a buzzing noise when it is on the agitate cycle.

Kenmore elite washer won't spin or agitate [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 5 year olf Kenmore elite washer that does not spin/agitate or pump water. Took the shell off, pump off, motor off. I left the motor connected to the wiring, tried to spin/agitate, but get no motion on motor, just a buzzing noise. Seems like the motor is bad? Is there any way to test this,...

Whirlpool washer won't agitate or spin [ 6 Answers ]

This machine is probably about 10 years old. It is a direct drive. The washer will fill and drain but when it tries to agitate or spin I hear a grinding and clicking sound coming from the bottom of the washer. I cannot turn the agitator by hand. Would this be a problem with the motor, or...

GE Washer won't spin or drain, but does agitate [ 2 Answers ]

I think the name of my clothes washer is GE Profile, model number WPSQ3120T2WW. It and our dryer came with our townhouse when we bought it four years ago. I've washed pillows before without any trouble (normal size), but this morning I washed two pillows and two sheets and then heard a loud...

Whirlpool Washer LA7800XT does not spin or agitate [ 0 Answers ]

Hello. I have a Whirlpool washer (model LA7800XT) that does not agitate or spin but does everything else fine. It is 16 years old but only used once or twice a month and the innard components appear to be in good shape if that's any relevant. I'm trying to diagnose the electrical components...

View more questions Search