Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arizonasteel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2010, 10:23 PM
    Kentucky lease statutes? Mental health applicable for breaking a lease in KY?
    My daughter has had to be moved from Ky to AZ because she has become suicidal due to a trauma she had a few years ago which has just hit her hard. She is in a mental health facility getting help and she will not be returning to KY. Can she legally break the lease due to her mental/medical status and because she is unemployed now and not living in the state.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 3, 2010, 04:49 AM

Nope. The only time a medical issue can be grounds for breaking the lease is if its caused by a condition the landlord allowed (i.e. mold etc.)

On the other hand, if the landlord is sent a letter from her doctor stating that she has been institutionalized indefinitely then the landlord is left with little choice. She will still owe rental until the landlord finds a new tenant. And, if the landlord decides to sue for any unpaid rental he will likely win. He will also be able to use her security deposit towards unpaid rentals. But I can't really see a landlord wasting the time and money to pursue it. I would clean her things out before sending the letter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kentucky lease statutes? Mental health applicable for breaking a lease in KY? [ 0 Answers ]

My daughter has had to be moved from Ky to AZ because she has become suicidal due to a trauma she had a few years ago which has just hit her hard. She is in a mental health facility getting help and she will not be returning to KY. Can she legally break the lease due to her mental/medical status...

Breaking a lease prior to occupancy.lease already signed [ 13 Answers ]

Help. My question is this... i signed a lease to rent a single family home... i gave a 200.00 deposit to hold it/toward security. I am unable to move into the home because i have to go out of state for a very ill family member (mother). ive tried to contact "LANDLORD" several times when i heard of...

Kentucky Law: Breaking a lease! [ 5 Answers ]

I got a job out of the state of Kentucky and I want to know,if by law I have a right to break the lease without any legal problems?

Stipulations in a lease vs. Law when breaking a lease [ 8 Answers ]

I'm breaking a lease with my landlord 6 months in (I'm moving out of the country). I've found someone to take over the lease immediately upon my departure. I informed my landlord 5 weeks prior to the point where I'd be breaking the lease. The landlord has (three weeks later) informed me that they...

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

View more questions Search