Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sharon Gosha Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2010, 02:00 PM
    HIPAA violation
    A folder containing PHI was left on a desk was discovered during an audit. Would this be considered a HIPAA violation?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 2, 2010, 07:24 PM

Was the folder open or closed

Was someone working at the desk or was it left over night
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 2, 2010, 08:15 PM

Did the auditor read the file or just find a closed file jacket?

Dec 3, 2010, 06:32 AM

The folder was closed and left overnight
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 07:12 PM

Was this at a medical facility?

I feel like we are playing 20 questions. Could you please give some more info.

Dec 5, 2010, 10:37 AM

No we are not a medicaid facility but an agency that maintain children's health insurance information. The information in the folder contained children SSN, addresses and their names. Some of the parent's information was also present. This information was left overnight in a folder on a desk.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 5, 2010, 04:32 PM

SSN is not part of HIPAA protection, and from what you have told us so far, no actual medical information regarding the child's health was in the file either. Lapse in proper office procedure but not a HIPAA violation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa violation? [ 3 Answers ]

Is it a Hipaa violation to inform a customer at a pharmacy about the price of their medication, cash price before and after insurance if they ask? Note: the name of the medication was never spoken aloud.

Is this a HIPAA Violation? [ 4 Answers ]

A counselor who works in the Mental Health population has been openly taking their psychiatric medications in front of co-workers and clients with mental disorders. Is this a violation? What steps are needed to report this? Should someone address it with upper management or file a complaint?

HIPAA Violation [ 2 Answers ]

I just started seeing a new Chiropractor. Yesterday he gave me a file to take home stating that it was my info. When I opened it today it was another Pt's information and only contiained billing info about me. I no longer wish to see this doctor as he violated HIPAA and I don't know whether he...

HIPAA Violation [ 4 Answers ]

A Physician I know was forced to close his practice because of illness. The person that worked in his office has taken the computer with pertainate information on all of his patients and refuses to return it. A policee report was file but he and his wife were told that nothing could be done. I work...

View more questions Search