Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomadams21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 12:24 AM
    Carrier Heat Pump
    Carrier Heat pump does not come on. Just stopped working. How do I trouble shoot for a bad transformer or other parts related to unit no turning on for either a/c or heat?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2007, 04:34 AM
    To do simple checks like this you do need some tools. A test light, a meter, or a voltage detector might be the best place to start with. I came across the niftiest gadget for trouble shooting, a voltage detector. They work through the insulation of wires. There are several brands. I have a GB Instruments GVD-505A, less than $15 at Home Depot. Touch it to a hot wire, and the end glows red. Find the doodad that lights it on one side, and not the other, and you have the culprit. You do not have to open up housings and expose electrical contacts. You are looking at where your hand is, not where the meter is. Most people are capable of doing repairs and will get it going and not get hurt if they use a little sense. The voltage detector makes it even easier.

Maybe the first thing is to look for a blown fuse on the control board, often an automotive blade type. Check for 24 volts between the R terminal and the com at the air handler.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier Heat Pump [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4 ton Carrier Heat Pump Heating and AC unit. Lately, the unit has been making a horrendous, loud bass trombone sound. This sound comes from the outside unit that houses the fan and compressor. It occurs when the heater/blower in the atic is NOT on. The sound is so loud that it wakes me up...

Whalen Heat Pump - no heat! [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I live in a condo and have a Whalen Heat Pump. I changed the thermostat to a Noma digital programmable model (model # 52-255808) in the summer time. The A/C works well and the fan works well, but I did not test for heat as it was summer when I installed it. Well, now that the weather is...

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Replacing 15 yr old carrier heat pump, best suggestion? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a high humidity area that has cold winters that can reach but not sustain 0 degrees and hot summers that can reach and sustain almost 100 degrees. I am replacing a whole house Carrier 2.5 ton unit; what is the best replacement with the best warranty for an 1800 sq ft house? I need this...

Old Carrier electric heat relay [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a hvac certified tech and am working on Carrier 40gc900220, around 30 to 40 years old, been told even the model number is obsolete. My top 5 kilowatt heat strip is getting no power but has continuity and 14 omhs resistance. My bottom strip has power and has a loop the goes up and connects to...

View more questions Search