Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SeekingPeace Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jan 7, 2007, 08:08 PM
    My 11yr old daughter is straying from God~
    I am a Christian Mother of two (at home) daughters 11yrs & 8yrs. My eleven year old is starting to stray from Christ. She is a neat kid. I don't want to push her into a uncomfortale situation but, don't want her to loose her relationship with Abba either. They both go to a private Christian school and enjoy it. They have always gone to private schools. Suggestions on how to approch but, not over crowd her inthis area? I started this evening spending one and one with them seperatly and just spending quiet time before God and she wanted to be there but, wanted me to pray... that's OK ;-) I love her and have a personal fear of one of these girls straying like mmy older and so I have to deal with that separately... I know. Maybe I just wanted to share but, welcome any insight on a Mothers love for her children.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 8, 2007, 06:50 AM
    You show and lead by example. At this age they will question many things, their faith is one of them. And sadly many Christian schools have a lot of non christian kids in them, so it is not really the protection it was 20 years ago.

You can not force a persons belief, merely show and guilde
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2007, 07:17 AM
    In my family, helping my children learn the "Why's" of our faith has helped tremendously. If you have a local Christian bookstore, look for books or videos on Apologetics.

... just an idea...
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2007, 07:27 AM
    Ask her why she is not feeling as close to Christ as she has in the past. Maybe vocalizing it to you will help her work through whatever it is. Don't pressure her in her relationship with God, that could backfire!
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Honestly,

You need to show them by example. You are not really doing that. To love and trust God completely takes Faith. That means that you should have complete faith that God is going to take care of your girls. At the same time, if they do stray, if something does happen in the future. Guess what. You need to love them unconditional as God will. You need to have faith that you raised them well enough but also know that eventually they are going to have to make their own choices and mistakes. Just because you have such a strong belief, does not mean that you can force them to believe the same way as you. They need to make that decision on their own.

Joe
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Yes, yes and yes. I failed to say so in my post: Your example is the #1 thing (of course, not implying that you do not... )
    banna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 05:10 PM
    Now a days even in christain schools childern are still preasured in to lots of things just give her some time and she will come around don't bring up the subject more than once a day just let her no that god is always there for her !
    Bairdh Posts: 21, Reputation: 9

Jan 13, 2007, 12:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SeekingPeace
    I am a Christian Mother of two (at home) daughters 11yrs & 8yrs. My eleven year old is starting to stray from Christ. She is a neat kid. I don't want to push her into a uncomfortale situation but, don't want her to loose her relationship with Abba either. They both go to a private Christian school and enjoy it. They have alwasy gone to private schools. Suggestions on how to approch but, not over crowd her inthis area? I started this evening spending one and one with them seperatly and just spending quiet time before God and she wanted to be there but, wanted me to pray... thats ok ;-) I love her and have a personal fear of one of these girls straying liek mmy older and so I have to deal with that seperately... I know. Maybe I just wanted to share but, welcome any insight on a Mothers love for her children.
    The most important thing you can do is pray for your kids in this area, not so much push them, and also be sure your personal relationship with Jesus is right so you are being a good example, a lot of times when we stray our kids don't want to be like us , and then reject God due to what we did... other resources about this are @ Reasons To Believe: Hugh Ross, Fazale Rana, Kenneth Samples, David Rogstad, Jeff Zweerink
    Rustyboy4 Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Jan 19, 2007, 07:22 PM
    Being a believer of more than one god and a firm believer that christianity is wrong you may take this post as you see fit.

I believe that the best thing you can do for your child right now is show that you love them no matter what her stance on god is. It should not matter to you as a mother whether your child believes the same theological belief as you do. The key matter is that your daughter is strong enough to make that choice for herself whether it be right or wrong. The key thing that you should be doing as a mother is supporting her because for your daughter at the age of 11 you are the closest thing she has to a god as strange as that may sound. It is therfore up to you to guide, support but most of all love and respect any decision your daughter makes as it is your love which shall guide her through life not your gods.

As I say take this as you find it however I speak with both your best interests and of course your daughters at heart!
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Jan 20, 2007, 11:05 AM
    SEEKINGPEACE,

I too have two daughters, 20 & 24. They did not go to private school. Some might say I waited too long before they accepted Jesus, but God's timing brought the opportunity and they accepted Jesus at 11 & 14. Now having been saved myself before they were born, I fully exercised the power of prayer over them, for them, laying hands on them when they were sick, etc... Our children are the most important ministry that the Lord gave us. However, we only borrow them from the Lord. Please do not underestimate the power of your prayers regarding your children and the spiritual foundation you, SEEKINGPEACE, are giving them.
    You can elicit information from your older daughter just to determine the seriousness of your concerns. If it is something you discern to be a serious attack where your daughter is concerned ( rebellion ) then you have the authority in the Name of Jesus to order Satan out of her life! Confess the blessings and promises of God over your children and refuse to give the devil any room to operate.
    Remember, the children don't understand the unseen forces that are coming against them.
    So it is your responsibility to stand against those forces on their behalf. Exercise that responsibility then take every opportunity to minister love to them.
    God knows how to deliver our children. Pray, pray & pray some more that He will change her heart and mind regarding your concerns.
    Remember the Parable-the prodigal son and the father's faith? (Luke 15:11-32)

Peace be with you. We stand in agreement in prayer for your daughter.
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Feb 3, 2007, 10:02 PM
    Teaching children about faith is a lifetime's task, and should beundertaken in a spirit of love, kindness, and patience. Children are exploring their world, the universe, and their relationship to it. We must not be surprised if they sometimes question the traditions of their parents whether it is in the field of politics, morality, or religion, etc.

Perhaps you will be willing to walk alongside her in her quest for understanding, explaining the role of your own faith inm your life, what it means to you, and how it helps you to identify yourself, and also how it grounds you, and supplies direction throughout life with an eternal perspective.

Part of growing up is challenging parental and other rules that surround the growing child. This is not rebellion, but a perfectly natural way of coming to terms with reality as a child perceives it, interacts with it, and is impacted with it. Although many children lose their love for their children when they become teenagers (or preteeens), their frustration (even anger) is born of their ignorance of the needs of a developing child. We understand how squishy grubs become dry looking chrysalises and then develop into a beautiful butterfly, but are ignoran of the metamorphoses that must take place in a child's personality and interests if they are to quit childhood and become adults.

Be grateful to God that you have a daughter whose talents and gifts make her question the status quo. Never (NEVER) give up on this kid, and do not give up hope.

Eleven years of age is a time of turmoil and reinvention that the cast majority of troubled and questioning children eventually emerge from in the status of beautiful adults able to think, judge, and decide for themselves.

I wish you well and bid your daughter Godspeed on her journey of life.

M:)RGANITE
    sexybeasty Posts: 112, Reputation: 16

Feb 19, 2007, 11:44 AM
    There was no place to rate the last post, but 31 pumpkin gave an excellent answer. Please don't try to cast out the demons, so to speak, in front of your daughter as it would scare her and possibly make her think you are nuts. A lot of prayer is the answer and know that God will never forsake you or your children. Blessings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need help as far as treating a daughter like a daughter [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am asking for help! I have a 33 year old daughter who it seems is always coming up with "why can't you treat me like a daughter should be treated, I have my own family and you just don't treat me like a daughter should be treated". What am I going to do here? I have been...

God! [ 51 Answers ]

What does God look like? HANK :)

Do you need God [ 12 Answers ]

I know I do need god how about you I get through the daywith god I ask him for help and I get it but not all the time

God or Not? [ 30 Answers ]

Is it allowed for us to debate over the creation/evolution? Or if there is a God, or if Allah is God? If not, post your personal beliefs and why you believe that. I thought I Was Lutheran-Christian, but when I was confirmed, I truly asked myself "Why do I believe this?" And my only answer was...

Please GOD help me. [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 14 year old daughter and she needs to come and live with me. She had scabies for two months and my x never took her or the rest of the family to the doctor the minute I found out I took them to the doctor right away and he said they had them so I bought their medicine and when I called my...

View more questions Search