Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rthomas04 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2010, 08:36 PM
    Can the district attorney garnish my wages
    I tried to go back to school back in 2002 but was only able to finish 1 week " if that" of school. I later received a notice from the district attorneys office to pay a school bill for almost 7000.00. I stopped going due to my father passing away and Soon after my daught of 10. How is that fair... That I never signed for a loan and yet owe so much?. Please help
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 29, 2010, 08:44 PM

If you signed up to go to a school, you agreed to pay certain fees.

If you went a week or less, what did you do when you left, did you go and officially withdraw ?

Next I would not know why the DA office would contact you, in all places where I live they have no authority in civil law , only criminal law.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 30, 2010, 06:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    ... Next I would not know why the DA office would contact you, in all places where I live they have no authority in civil law , only criminal law.
    I'm wondering that too. Is it possible that they are threatening criminal prosecution? Or maybe someone is falsely claiming to be a prosecutor in order to collect a bill.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2010, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rthomas04 View Post
    I never signed for a loan and yet owe so much?..... Please help
    Hello R:

Write him a letter telling him exactly what you told us. Send your letter certified.

excon
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2010, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rthomas04 View Post
    I tried to go back to school back in 2002 but was only able to finish 1 week " if that" of school. I later recieved a notice from the district attorneys office to pay a school bill for almost 7000.00. I stopped going due to my father passing away and Soon after my daught of 10. How is that fair ..... That I never signed for a loan and yet owe so much?..... Please help
    Where are you located? Laws vary by region but in general, your wages cannot be garnished until a judgment is awarded - unless this actually is for a student loan, in which case the IRS has the right to garnish anything with your name on it.

You stated that you never "signed" for a loan - did you apply for one?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an attorney garnish my wages for his fees in Illinois [ 15 Answers ]

Its divorce in Illinois and I am being asks to pay my ex wife's legal fees she didn't work I am already paying 50% 0f my pay to alimony and child support I don't have the money to pay 7000 in legal fees nor 17000 in non marital home she's owd can they garnish my wages for the money owed the house...

Will they garnish my wages? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently signed a year lease extension for an apartment I have lived in for 1 year in NYC. I asked the landlord's secretary if I could go month-to-month, she said they don't do that but if I give them a month or two's notice, it would be fine for me to exit the lease. The reason I didn't want to...

Right way to garnish wages [ 4 Answers ]

Can wages be garnish without a court order

Who can garnish your wages? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband had a credit card that he got behind on when he was furloughed from his job for almost 2 yrs. With interest and late fees, it got to 15,000.00. The credit company was going to to settle for around 3000.00 because my husband had been a customer (credit cardholder) for many years but it...

The right to garnish wages [ 6 Answers ]

I have a judgement against me from a previous landlord, when I was first contacted by the collections agency who now holds the account 8 months ago I responded with a willingness to work out a payment plan. I never heard back from the agency until today 8 months later and they are demanding that...

View more questions Search