Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laurenismighty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2010, 06:58 PM
    How to hook up a DVD/VHS recorder, HDTV, and cable box?
    More specifically...
    A Panasonic DMR-EZ475V, a Sharp Aquos 1080p HDTV, and a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250HDC cable box

We have tried to use all of the diagrams provided by Panasonic to hook up the 3 devices, but none included the use of an HDMI cable. If anymore details are needed, will gladly provide.
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2010, 08:24 PM
    HDMI from each to the TV. To record off cable, you can split the cable signal and have it go into the recording unit and the cable box.

If you don't get a picture on the TV from the VHS, then you may also need to run a composite audio/video cable to the TV. Composite audio/video is the yellow, white, red cables.

So in summary:

Cable box --> TV, via HDMI.
    DVD/VHS --> TV, via HDMI (and possibly yellow, white, red cables)
    Incoming cable signal --> 2-way Splitter --> One to the cable box, the other to the DVD/VHS.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Nov 29, 2010, 09:03 PM

I don't know if this will help, but I have an RF modulator that connects my TV, cable box, vcr, and video game consoles. I don't know if you can plug HD cables into this though, but they sell the rf modulators at walmart and there are several different types.
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2010, 03:06 PM
    If you have an HDTV, do NOT use an RF Modulator as mentioned above. This will provide the worst possible picture and sound.
    laurenismighty Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2010, 03:16 PM
    Thanks but we had everything hooked up previously, we just had to get a replacement cable box, and in doing so, some of the cables were not hooked back up correctly. We're pretty sure we had the 3 devices connected using some combination of these cables: a cable from the wall to either the DVD player or cable box, a cable connecting the cable box and DVD player, a cable into the TV from either the cable box or the DVD player (whichever is left), and then an HDMI cable likely from the cable box to the TV (input 5) and another HDMI cable from the DVD player into an HDMI switcher which is plugged into a different HDMI port on the TV (input 4).
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2010, 06:16 PM
    Should just have coax from the wall to the cable box. Then HDMI from the DVD player to the TV and from the cable box to the TV. The other cables sound pointless. And there shouldn't be a need for an HDMI switcher if your TV has enough HDMI connections.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting hdtv, cable, dvr/vhs combo recorder [ 3 Answers ]

I have connected our Sony hdtv to Comcast cable box with hdmi cord (input hdmi1 ) And a dvd/vhs recorder (SONY RDR-VXD655) via hdmi cord. (input hdmi 2) I also connected the recorder to cable via the audio/video cord (red, yellow, white) cord (as manual directed) (as cable “tech” suggested I...

Hookups for a RCA DVD Recorder plus VHS player to a DVR and a Phillips HDTV lcd TV/ [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I lost my instrutions and I'm normally useless when it comes to electronics. Can anyone tell me how to hook this up? With what colored Cables and if they need be fiber optic? Thanks Kevin

Hdtv hookup to hd cable box and dvd recorder w hdmi [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Samsung lcd hd TV and a panasonic dvd recorder/vcr combo. The TV has 2 hdmi in connections and the panasonic dvd recorder has 1 hdmi out. I had them hooked up to cable with no box and recently decided to add hd cable. I received the cable box, a motorola dch3200 with no dvr,but can't...

TV, Sony DVD/VHS recorder, Scientific Atlanta Digital Cable Box Connections? [ 1 Answers ]

Could not find a catetgory for Audio / Visual Equipment... so my question is... for anyone reading this... I have a Toshiba (CRT) TV, a Scientfiic Atlanta cable box, and a new Sony RDR-VXD655 combination DVD/VHS recorder. I would like to simultaneously watch one program and record another......

Cable box hook up to dvd recorder [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a Cablevision HD Cable box and a Sony DVD recorder and a Sony HD TV. I am using a HDMI cable but when I went to record a program to the dvd recorder the only thing that recordered was a message that said I need a dvi connector cable / adapter. I thought if you use a HDMI cable that...

View more questions Search