Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Krawchukery Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2007, 05:08 PM
    F-1 Opt, Employer with-hled Fica
    Hello,

I was wondering what to do? I entered the U.S on Aug.23, 2002 on F-1 student status and graduated May 5, 2006. I am currently working for the school on F-1 opt and they are with-holding FICA taxes on my pay check. Do I receive the 5 year FICA rule? Does the employer need to reimburse me for the FICA or do I file tax form 843? I am getting ready to file my taxes for 2006 and I am trying to figure out the situation. School has not responded to this question because I believe they don't know either. Any Help will be greatly appreciated. Oh I also have Canadian Residency. Please HELP
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 8, 2007, 01:51 PM
    For 2006, you should NOT have paid Social Security and Medicare taxs while on OPT.

First, ask your employer to refund these withheld taxs. It may not be too late. If not, get the employer's refusal in writing, as you will need it when you file Form 843. The filing of the Form 843 is totally separate from your federal income tax return. There is ONE LINK, however: You MUST file as a non-resident alien in 2006 if you want to get these withheld taxes back.

Now, since you are Canadian, your U.S.-based salary may be liable for Canadian taxes. I do not know for sure, but a call to a Canadian tax professional should get you an answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT to H1B - Employer not deducting FICA [ 8 Answers ]

Hi ATE, The date on my opt is from May 2005 to May 2006. But meanwhile my H1B petition got approved starting 1st Nov 2005. But my employer who filed for my H1B was not deducting social security and medicare taxes till January. When I noticed, I asked him about this and he said it is a...

FICA taxes not withheld by my employer [ 14 Answers ]

Hi all, I came to US on F-1 status in Aug 1998. I joined my current company on OPT in May 2000. I got my H1B status in July 2001. Till date (Dec 2006), my employer has not withheld the FICA taxes. I was not very well-informed on this and realised it is better to fix the situation. My questions are...

F1, opt and fica tax [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question about the Social Secuirty and Medicare Taxes. I came to US As a F1 student in sep. 2000. I began my OPT in July, 2005. And my H1b started at Jan. 1, 2006. Since I was a F1-Student in the whole year of 2005. Neither my university, nor my current company deducted these two types of...

Opt and fica? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Experts, I was an international student on a F1 visa. I got my OPT and now I work for a company in the US. They will sponsor my H1B visa, but for now, I'm sill on my OPT. Do I have to pay the FICA contribution while I'm on my OPT? Will I have to pay for it when I have my H1B visa? ...

Fica tax on opt [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Right now I am on OPT(started on Jan1st,2006) and am working for an university. I noticed that on my payroll I have been charged for FICA. When I called up our university tax office, their explanation was that since I am here in the US for more than 5 years-they considered me as a Resident....

View more questions Search