Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twall Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2007, 05:07 PM
    Castor sugar
    I am looking for the original orange cake recipe , I can't find castor sugar in canada what is the alternative for bero recipes
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Jan 7, 2007, 10:53 PM
    Caster sugar is just like normal sugar, except it has a slightly smaller grain size. If you are making a cake, then it is unlikely that the grain size will have any affect on the outcome, as the sugar will mostly dissolve in the wet ingredients when you mix everything together.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2007, 02:27 PM
    Here's a great Orange cake recipe:

1 stick (1/2 c) unsalted butter, softened
    3/4 c sugar
    4 tsp finely grated orange zest
    2 lg eggs
    1/2 c sour cream
    1/4 c fresh orange juice
    1 1/2 c all purpose flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    Confectioners sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, Lightly butter bottom of 8" sq pan, place wax paper on this and lightly butter -- Beat, with mixer butter, sugar and zest till creamy, about 2 minutes, add eggs one at a time, whisk in sour cream and oirange juice---add remaining ingredients, (except confectioners sugar) till nicely mixed. Take batter and pour into pan and bake till golden brown, about 30-40 minutes, toothpick will come out clean when inserted in middle of cake, Dust with confections sugar and let cool about 10 minutes!!!

as for the Castor Sugar you can make it your self in a food processor run it for a couple of minutes, let it settle, it's basically dust when you finish, Castor sugar is available in the states and it just called "super Fine" hope this helps
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jan 28, 2007, 02:33 PM
    Castor sugar is what its called in Britain. Its called superfine sugar in the states so perhaps that is how its listed in Canada (its not powered or confectioners though). Its what is used in meringues and in cold beverages like iced tea because the samller grain dissolves more quick. Its probably more a bar supply now, I think, since in regular baking, like Dmatos said, it wouldn't matter. If you want to be totally authentic, you could take regular sugar and put it through a coffee grinder or food processor if it has a grinding blade to make some but I bet it makes a dusty mess too! LOL
    ghost56 Posts: 283, Reputation: 26

Mar 4, 2007, 05:48 AM
    You can also put the amount of ordinary granulated sugar in a plastic bag and roll it with a rolling pin to make it finer.
    BumbleVee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2011, 03:12 PM
    For something like cakes or loaves... just substitute regular granulated sugar... it'll be great...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much sugar is in milk? [ 12 Answers ]

How many grams of sugar does an 8 ounce glass of milk provide?

Who remade the Archies song "Sugar Sugar"? [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: Please, who's the artist who remade the Archies song "Sugar Sugar" with changed lyrics.. "Honey, I gotta lotta money.."?

Brown Sugar [ 9 Answers ]

What is the Chemical Formula for Brown Sugar?

Sugar [ 1 Answers ]

How many grams of sugar should a healthy adult have in 1 day?

How many grams of sugar [ 4 Answers ]

How many grams sugar should a healthy adult have a day?

View more questions Search