Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    digmoore Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2010, 05:12 PM
    Loan for land
    I borrowed money to pay a land mortgage from a friend . I agreed to pay back the debt monthly, I have followed through.

We have a witess loan agrreement withj the land address as collateral, could something go wrong with out all of the fancy survey AND DESCRIPTION.
    THANKS
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2010, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by digmoore View Post
    i borrowed money to pay a land morgage from a friend . i agreed to pay back the debt monthly, i have followed thru.

we have a witess loan agrreement withj the land adress as colateral, could something go wrong with out all ofthe fancy survey AND DESCRIPTION.
    Hello dig:

Make sure you document your payments, so that if something DOES go wrong, you have PROOF you held up your end.

But, if you have a mortgage on it, how did you put it up as collateral for the loan? Since the property is ALREADY spoken for, you might THINK you put it up - but you really didn't.

excon
    digmoore Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2010, 06:09 PM
    Comment on excon's post
    I have the deed to property as owner with no lien . I have a notethat uses the land as the collateral the questiion my friend sAYS THE note is not legal for a land morgGE?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 28, 2010, 06:47 PM

First, may I call your attention to the guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

Nothing excon said was inaccurate. The fact is that your question was worded vaguely leading to misunderstanding. You owe excon an apology.

If, as you say, the deed is recorded in your name with no lien, then it would depend on the wording of the document you signed. Was it a promissory note or a mortgage or what? If the intent is clear that you borrowed money putting up the property as collateral, its likely a court will uphold the document if you default. The only problem would be if the property was not described clearly so it could be argued what property was offered as collateral.

P.S. Please don't use the Comments feature for follow-up. Use the Answer options instead.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parents deeded land to children before their death, tax consequence upon sale of land [ 1 Answers ]

What is tax consequentce on sale of land that was deeded to children before death of parents (now deceased)

Can a husband take out a loan and buy land that his wife is strongly against? [ 1 Answers ]

Husband wants to buy more land,he is almost finished paying for some he bought 6 years ago,I was against it ,but he did it anyway.Now I think he is going to get another loan and buy more.Do I have any rights or says,he knows I am strongly against it.

Land Loan [ 1 Answers ]

What morthgage company has zero down Land loan? Thank you

Land loan entry [ 1 Answers ]

We have land appraised at 3,300,000. We took out a loan this week for 1,650,000 against the land. What is the journal entry to set up the asset and liability on the books/

Downpayment for land or loan [ 1 Answers ]

I found a piece of land for $34,000. It has come at a time when the savings has just been depleted. This was expected in januarary, not July. I have little over 10% for the down. The only other thing I have is two car titles, at a value of $15,000. This dosen't help with the land loan, but can I...

View more questions Search