Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Teaka Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2010, 01:19 PM
    1.5 yr old female chihuahua poops beside me instead of potty paper. Help!
    I have a 1.5 yr old female chihuahua who poops beside me instead of potty paper. She potty trained very easily but when I started taking her for walks, she started to poop in the house and has continued to. When she pees on her paper I give her a tiny treat and lots and lots of praise just the same as when she poops on the paper. Now she poops beside me every time. When she started to poop in the house she would hide it behind the furniture, in the bedroom, but it was hiden. When I would find it she knew that she was bad. I would pick her up, take to the spot and say "bad dog" and then take her to the potty paper and set her down - pet, praise, let her go. Doesn't work as I stated she poops beside me and she knows she is bad.

She has been known to poop when she thinks that she is not getting enough attention and then she poops beside me. She gets of plenty of attention sometimes I think too much attention.

HELP!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2010, 10:31 PM

Is there any reason you are using potty paper and not taking her outside?
    The paper should only be used in extreme circumstances ie: you live on a high level in an apartment.
    They confuse a lot of dogs, they are allowed to poop in the house, yet when they do they get in trouble. Sometimes they don't understand the concept of only pooping in one place in the house.

If you REALLY need to have her go in the house try a potty patch, they are a patch of fake grass with a tray underneath, they tend to work better than paper or pads.

Nov 27, 2010, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Is there any reason you are using potty paper and not taking her outside?
    The paper should only be used in extreme circumstances ie: you live on a high level in an apartment.
    They confuse a lot of dogs, they are allowed to poop in the house, yet when they do they get in trouble. Sometimes they don't understand the concept of only pooping in one place in the house.

If you REALLY need to have her go in the house try a potty patch, they are a patch of fake grass with a tray underneath, they tend to work better than paper or pads.
    OK

Nov 27, 2010, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Teaka View Post
    ok
    I live in a condo & it is winter with 2 feet of snow and she is only 5 lbs. I tried her with the Potty Patch but she did much better with potty paper on the bathroom floor. No problem she will pee on the paper. Last evening she finally went on the bathroom floor but not on the paper. Maybe she is finally going to come around.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2010, 07:04 AM

My friends dog is 3 pounds, and she has no problem taking it outside in Winter and we to have 2 feet or more of snow. She shovels a little spot so her dog doesn't disappear in the snow. She has a path from her back door to the "potty spot", and it works quiet well, the dog goes outside pees\poops and goes back inside. Maybe try that?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Nov 30, 2010, 11:54 AM

Puppy pads are just confusing to her.Basically you are telling her it's okay to pee inside, she doesn't get that she is only allowed to pee on certain paper. I would say to try and make a better effort to take her out side and you will be much more successful with her house breaking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

7 1/2 month Chihuahua poops in house [ 1 Answers ]

My 7 1/2 month old long-haired chihuahua will occasionally poop in the house. She is taken outside a minimum of 4 times a day and usually will pee and poop in the morning and when I get home from work, however sometimes in the evening after a long walk and a stop outside she will come in and poop...

Potty training chihuahua [ 1 Answers ]

I have 10 week old chihuahua and I'm having a very hard time potty traning I'm using pad sometimes she uses it sometimes she don't if I catch her goning on the floor I take her to the pad and I just don't think she is getting it also what is the create method everyone is talking about someone...

Chihuahua Potty Training [ 5 Answers ]

I have a twelve week old chihuahua and I am having such a hard time potty training him. I have him in the bathroom when we are gone with a puppy pad and sometimes he will go on it and sometimes he won't. Also when I am home I will put him in there about 10 minute after he eats wait, if he goes...

Chihuahua potty training [ 2 Answers ]

Ok Labman, here's another question for you on my Chihuahua potty training. I have a large front porch (large to my little puppy, anyway) and 5 or 6 steps that he cannot yet manage. I have a lot of leaves on my porch right now, so I started putting the puppy out there yesterday to use the bathroom...

View more questions Search