Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    biabia Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2010, 12:52 PM
    What does one do when they have grown out of their position?
    I have been in the same position at my job the last five years as a banker for a large bank. I am an excellent salesperson and know the business I am in very well. I am the go to girl for any questions any other associates might have. However, I feel that I have grown out of this position. I'm not sure what to do next and/ or how I should go about making a change. I am good at what I do and the next step would be management but due to personal obstacles I have been not so punctual and this has effected me going to the next level. I like more complex issues and the day to day tasks have become so mundane that I have begun to overlooked the small details. I work for a large bank and know that there are other departments that I could go to. Any suggestions on what to do? Im growing kind of restless here
    feroluce Posts: 30, Reputation: 7

Nov 26, 2010, 02:42 PM
    Talk to your HR department about it.
    The way they'll look it is 'If we don't promote her, will she leave, and can we afford to lose her'.

You need to push the first part, talk about career progression and how you want a career not just a job.
    Don't back down. If they say no, ask them what training they can give you to help you progress.
    Don't worry about the second part. You're the 'go to' girl and it costs tens of thousands to replace a long term staff member.

Turn your attendance into a plus point, tell them you weren't sure what you wanted career wise, but now you do. It was just a symptom of your uncertainty. Now you're certain and you know what you want, it will no longer be an issue.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 26, 2010, 03:25 PM

What position are you in now, and what would you like to do next?

Your late attendance could easily keep you where you are, and if it continues in this job or at a future one, will hold you back. Has this problem improved, or are you still showing up late to work?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 8, 2010, 11:49 AM

biabia finds this helpful : I am a Banker and I would like to move into management, that is the next step for a banker.
    What is a "banker"? Are you one of those persons a bank customer sits down with to discuss a banking question or problem? "Management" would be the person in charge of those customer-service "bankers"?
    biabia Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2010, 07:27 PM

Wondergirl-

Yes, a banker is the person that sits behind a desk to help resolve any banking issues and answer any questions. Also, 75% of our performance metrics is based on sales. I.E. selling bank products. I have always been pretty solid in regards to the sales aspect of this position. But my passion is more service oriented and resolving any problems and/ or complex issues and training associates on how to get the job done right the first time! I feel like I am an asset to this company and could help train associates, I'm just not sure how to go about it when all my employer can seem to look at is the negative. I have made a significant improvement but I'm still not perfect. I feel like they want me to be perfect to go to the next level. Is perfection even possible? I mean I can get to work on time now... but seriously not initialling in the rigth corner versus the left corner? Is that really imperfection?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 08:19 PM

First of course you need to solve the personal issues that has caused attendance issues. Being there on time and not missing a lot of work is a real requirement for promotions to most management positions.

Next you often have to consider leaving and going to another bank, sometimes a smaller bank then latter moving back to another larger bank.

So you get you're your resume and start looking for openings. Then with your own, you talk to HR and ask them how are promotions listed, is there a board where they are posted, and how can you let them know you are intersted,

Next can you move, what if there is a opening in another state ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grown son uses everyone [ 10 Answers ]

My grown son continually borrows money, child support, fees, gas, food, and makes up lies for money. He never pays us back. He is ADD and I am sure Bipolar. He cares about no one but himself. His kids he has about an hour patience with. When they come over I watch them. How do I cut the ties...

Looking to leave position with no compete clause... same field different position [ 4 Answers ]

Wondering if leaving for a different position in same type business <much smaller scale> is enforceable in a no compete clause

Ceiling fan works in the clockwise position but not in the counterclockwise position [ 1 Answers ]

Our ceiling fan (circa 1998, Gulf STream Model 978A/five blade) has the typical switch on the side of the housing to enable the fan to go clockwise or counterclockwise. Counterclockwise works at all three speeds. Clockwise does not work at all. Gives no indication (motor noise) that there is any...

Blower would not work on AUTO position just ON position [ 9 Answers ]

I have installed new rooftop unit- electrical heating & cooling- few weeks ago. When I run the cooling everything goes fine (blower and composer) but if I run the heating; heat element will fire up but the blower will not work unless I put the fan on ON position not AUTO position, so, please, I...

Grown daughter [ 31 Answers ]

I have a grown married daughter who left the country 2 years ago. She seems to have become very distant since she and her husband started their family. Our telephone conversations are fine, but our visits are stressful. I think she feels that she has to prove to her husband that she is strong and...

View more questions Search