Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    letitbe1111 Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

Nov 26, 2010, 11:50 AM
    Garbage disposer
    Would it be smart for me to get a new garbage disposal when I replace my sink? Money is tight, but if it will save me money in the long run I'll do it. Old one is about 8 years old.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2010, 01:02 PM

I would suggest if it works you don't have to replace it at this time mine is about 15 years and it still works great, good luck.

John
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 26, 2010, 01:03 PM

Letitbe111...

If you will be replacing the sink and disposal yourself and the disposal is in good condition I say you use the old one for a few more years... super easy to swap a new one in when needed (if you're handy).

If, however, you're hiring a plumber I would recommend having them install a new one and be done with it for years to come. Here, I'd definitely recommend the INSINKERATOR disposal series (also called the PRO series in some areas).

Let me know if you'd like to discuss more, OK?

Mark
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2010, 01:06 PM

Mark it will not let me rate you, just wanted to say excellent advice, Thanks.

John
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 26, 2010, 04:11 PM

Hey John...

We posted at the same time or I wouldn't have even posted to the question. Your answer is spot on!

Thanks...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tips for removing coin from garbage disposer? [ 13 Answers ]

Our garbage disposer is jammed. I have explored it with my hands and had a look with a torch. There is a dime stuck between the blades and the sidewall. Only about 1/3 of the coin is protruding. Its tight against the sidewall so I can't get hold of it with a pair of pliers. I have tried turning the...

Pro 17 Disposer won't shut off [ 1 Answers ]

My Insinkerator Pro 17 will sometimes (more often) not shut off when I remove the cover. I have to turn it off at the switch under the sink. This is a pain because my dishwasher is wired into the same box. I assume it is the switch. I guess my question is should I have it repaired (or pay to find...

Sink Disposer Doesn't Run [ 2 Answers ]

Our kitchen sink disposer stopped running, it makes a buzzing noise only when turning on the switch. Pushing the Reset button on the bottom of the disposer does not help. Anybody know how to resulve this problem? Thanks.

Garbage Disposer Always Creates Backup [ 7 Answers ]

I just installed a new garbage disposer for my parents a few days ago (when the old one broke years ago, they never replaced it, just removed it and redid the sink drain). The disposer works fine, and I ran everything according to the instructions, but there's a problem somewhere in the line that I...

Disposer plugged [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. My kitchen sink disposer must be pluged up. The motor runs, and the water swirls, but it stays in the sink. I have tried using a plunger. That did the job a while back, but not this time. It is an IN SINK ERATOR. Any suggestions? toddao

View more questions Search