Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thomashobbes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2010, 09:41 AM
    Non-payment of rent >small claims court
    How can I get the rent that is three months overdue without evicting the tenant? Can I use MD small claims court?
    CinnamonBrownie Posts: 45, Reputation: 13

Nov 27, 2010, 03:02 AM
    I'm not an attorney, but if it were me I can't think of a reason you couldn't use small claims court. You just wouldn't be able to obtain a judgment for eviction, just a normal judgment for money... And that sounds like what you want.

Usually the personnel in small claims court can help you get the case filed. The easiest thing to do may be to get the phone number for the small claims filing line (just locate and call the court main number and ask), and explain that what you'd like to do. But it sure sounds like you can do that.

I hope that helps.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 27, 2010, 07:30 AM

Why would allow a tenant to remain when they are not paying rent? Using the eviction process would be better than going through small claims court. As part of the eviction the court will hand down a judgment as to what is owed.

The problem you have then is collecting on that judgment. You would have the same problem in small claims court. If he can't pay his rent, why do you think suing him over it will get him to pay?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friend claims I owe him money and is taking it to small claims court [ 2 Answers ]

I was on holiday with a friend who booked and paid for a trip. When we got home he asked me for the money for this trip. He never told me how much it cost or that he would want me to contribute until afterwards. I have told him that he should have asked first and I wouldn't have gone as I cannot...

Are Verbal Agreements for Rent + Utillities admisable in small claims court? [ 4 Answers ]

Mid-July this year(2007), I had a falling out with my now ex-girlfriend. Prior to me packing up and leaving I offered to take responsibility of the apartment cause I knew my ex would have trouble maintaining the rent and utillities. She said "No" due to the fact she did not want to move back in...

What can I ask for in small claims court? [ 5 Answers ]

Paid $1200 for wedding pics sept. '06 and haven't received anything. Had contract. The contract clearly states the location of the ceremony. After wedding they added $250 in extra fees. Haven't paid the fees. The photographer claims the location was farhter than he had expected (even though the...

Small claims court [ 1 Answers ]

I have been summoned to small claims court in aug. this is for a credit card debt 2001 with a charge off in 2002. Now an attorney who buys and tries to collect these debts is the one who is taking me to court. What are my options? I am retired and work two days a week to supplement my income. I do...

View more questions Search