Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pdhir Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2010, 10:46 AM
    Statute of limitations on buying property in Ontario
    I bought a property in October 2010 in Ontario. Yesterday I noticed some roof problem. We bought through a real estate agent, also got a building inspector to check it out (he did not notice anythinng wrong). I got an estimate from a roofing contractor. He has written on estimate that roofing problem has been going on for several months. Any sugggestions as to what I should do? Please respond - we are very upset.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 25, 2010, 10:50 AM

Unless you can prove the previous owner knew about the issue and hid the fact there is little you can do. Have you challenged your home inspector regarding how/why he missed this problem? That would be my route
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 25, 2010, 11:12 AM

There is no SOL, and no warranty with a home unless you
    1. bought a warranty though a commercial company
    2. had something in the contract that would cover damages for a specific time ( never seen it, but heard about it a couple times)

Basically that is why you do a home inspection, if you hire a bad inspector or they miss something, then your only option may be a issue with the inspector, but everyone ( and I mean everyone) has a clause in their contracts that they are not liable for items missed.

So basically it is just on you to fix it.

The only chance is to prove the seller knew of a problem and did not disclose it to you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ontario Statute of Limitations [ 3 Answers ]

The statute of limitations does not apply to bench warrants. A bench warrant remains in effect until it is executed (i.e. you are arrested, or surrender yourself to the court), or heaven forbid, you die. In either case it holds true, and will not just simply "go away." I would contact a criminal...

Statute of Limitations - Ontario [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, This is in reference to a consumer debt by the way. I have read that the Ontartio sTatute law was modified Such that any debt as of jan 1 2004 was "sue-able" within 2 years , any debt before that was "sue-able" for up to 6 years. Is that correct? Also, assuming I encounted a debt in Sept...

Statute of Limitations Ontario [ 2 Answers ]

I have a credit card that I have stopped paying two years ago. But I was not in Ontario during the last two years. Does the SOL apply to my situation or does the SOL start over again when I return to Ontario,Canada. Please advise. The credit card is old but the payments were stopped in 2005. ...

New vs. Old Statute of Limitations in Ontario [ 1 Answers ]

If a credit card issued in the 1990's goes into arrears sometime after Jan 1/04, does the new SOL or the old SOL in Ontario apply? For further clarification, as of Jan 1/04, there was debt owing on the card but it was not in arrears at that time. Thanks!

View more questions Search