Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2007, 12:37 AM
    Okay I'm back. New fan still noisy. Thinking of looking at a more expensive one just for the sake of quietness.

New one just a simple one my daughter picked up, luckily it fit okay.

Someone mentioned about making sure it was the right size, I was just wondering how I would know if it was. What am I measuring exactly.

Would it seem silly to take my fan with me to the computer store and ask for one like that only quieter?
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Apr 20, 2007, 07:16 AM
    So what exactly did you change?

Assuming you have one case fan, put your finger on the center of the fan to stop it spinning momentarily and listen if its quieter, do the same with the cpu fan. NOTE: Don't stop the cpu fan for too long, just enough to judge the loudness.

This will give you a starting point as to what is noisy. Chances are its probably the CPU fan like you said earlier.

You don't necessarily have to bring the fan to the shop. If it is a CPU fan, all you need to tell them is what your CPU is. Each CPU type will have a "socket" associated with it, such as Socket 775, Socket 478, Socket 939, etc. Any CPU fan purchased needs to be compatible with your CPU socket.

What CPU are you using? And what is the computer make and model? Perhaps we can recommend what you should be looking for.
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Thanks. I'll have a look inside over the weekend and try to get that information.
    Fanlube Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2008, 10:21 AM
    I'm an industrial chemist, so when my laptop fan started sounding like a cement mixer I designed a speciality lubricant for it. It's a blend of high grade silicones that is easy to apply, and which will do a far better job of lubricating your fan bearing than some old sewing machine oil or similar. Just do a search for Fanlube and you'll find our website with explanations of what goes wrong, and instructions and a video to show you how to fix the problem.
    zoomtight Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2010, 04:08 AM
    My noisy fan is the power supply fan... I bought a replacement fan (25 dBA sleeve bearing power case fan) Is it really that hard to replace?

Apr 3, 2010, 04:08 AM
    My noisy fan is the power supply fan... I bought a replacement fan (25 dBA sleeve bearing power case fan) Is it really that hard to replace?

Apr 3, 2010, 04:09 AM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hamton Bay Fan - Noisy [ 2 Answers ]

The remote control works fine. My problem is a pulsing noise which is loud on high speed and less on each of the other speeds. The blades remain constant on which ever speed that is chosen. I'm looking to find the cause of the pulsing noise. Is it the receiving unit for the remote? Thanks

Ceiling fan too noisy [ 5 Answers ]

I installed a ceiling fan with the toggle dimmer to slow down the fan blade and now the fan motor is too noisy, what can I do to quiet it down. Tony

Noisy Harbor View Fan [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Harbor View Fan. It's Noisy. Can you oil this product? If so, where do you place the oil. Unfortunately I have no product documentation. So I'm in the dark? HELP!

Noisy Remote Control Fan [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Reddington II, remote control fan (no other switches) that works great when the switch cup is not attached. When the switch cup is attached, it makes quite a bit of noise. I've tried tightening screws, insulating the fan cup and moving the wires.. . Still very noisy. Without...

Noisy central a/c outside fan [ 1 Answers ]

The outside fan on the compressor and coil unit has suddenly become very noisy and the fan is going very fast. I called Sears for service as it is on a prepaid maintenance contract but they can't come for 8 days. I have turned it off so no a/c. Is it OK to turn it on as it will be fairly hot in...

View more questions Search