Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rubydolan Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2010, 06:01 AM
    Can a mother stop a dad getting guardianship?
    Hi my daughter is 5 she was going with her dad but now for the past 4 months she won't go I made her go for few hours on a sat but wouldn't leave her home when I asked so I stopped access because I couldn't trust him to take her and leave her back he pays 20 euro a week now he wants guardianship which I don't want him to have as he has never done anything for her since she was born he only started paying for her cause the court ordered him to I do every thing for her he does nothing never has the only reason he doing this is cause his mother wants access not him he hasn't looked for her at al he doing this because I got engaged can I stop him from getting this
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 24, 2010, 06:48 AM

You are in Europe?

Nov 25, 2010, 01:11 AM
    I am in ireland
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 25, 2010, 06:30 AM

First, A dad doesn't need guardianship. Guardianship occurs when someone other than the bio or legal parents wants to care for a child.

Second you don't say whether there is any court ordered visitation schedule or rights. If there is you can't withhold the child. If you do you could be cited for contempt of court.

Has you daughter explained why she doesn't want to go? Why not just let her go to grandma?

Nov 25, 2010, 09:18 AM
    There is no court order we decided ourselves that she would go at weekends that was going OK till the last few months when she said she didn't want to stay over just go for few hours but he wasn't happy with that so when she would go he wouldn't take her back till the next evening and woulnt answer his fone to me that happened a few times so then I told him he needed to go get proper access sorted cause he wouldn't leave her back when I asked him,she has not said why she doesn't want to stay just that she will go with him if he will leave her home be for dark but he doesn't so she doesn't want to go now cause she doesn't trust him to leave her home when he says he will plus there is problems with his dad who he lives with were as he was in court for indecent exposure twice a few years ago so I don't allow her to go there and am afraid that sumit happened that she doesn't want to go,his mother is as bad I had her on fone calling me every thing for stoping her going the gaurds had to get her to stop ringing she would arrive at my house shouting abuse so she not sum one I want with her either its just a mess I have to do what I feel is best for her and I don't think him getting guardianship is good for her because he will feel then he can do what he wants and il be worried sick ervey time she goes in case she near his dad

Nov 25, 2010, 09:26 AM

Well without any court ordered custody or visitation he actually has EQUAL rights to her and he can keep her for as long as he wants.

And again, guardianship is the wrong term here. You should go to court to establish primary physical custody before he does.

Nov 25, 2010, 09:33 AM
    I was told by solicitor that he has no rights cause we not married and that I am sole guardian and that he has to take her back when I say un less he goes and gets access order from court say,n other wise

Nov 25, 2010, 09:44 AM

Ok, I take back what I said. Apparently, Ireland's laws are not friendly towards fathers of chidlren born out of wedlock. I found this site: Legal guardianship and unmarried couples that explains this.

So, yes, you currently have sole guardianship (which IS the correct term) and he would have to go to court to get joint guardianship (in the US we call this custody and guardianship is a different thing). He would then have to prove that joint guardianship is in the best interests of the child.

Whether he can prove that or not is the question. The fact that he has an ongoing relationship with the child is a very large point in his favor.

Nov 25, 2010, 09:58 AM
    Yeah that's the problem but am worried that sumit happened that she doesn't want to go and if I say any thingg to him about his dad he just says the family doesn't want to discuss it so I can't find out any thing from him so I think I will just have to take my chances in court and hope for the best thanks a mill for your help and advise apprecite it thank you

Nov 25, 2010, 04:07 PM

I do think you really need to get a reason from your daughter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I able to terminate a guardianship? [ 0 Answers ]

When I was 14 I got pregnant with my 3 year old son I could not support him and a jugde told me they would take him away if my mother wasn't granted his guardian. I live with my mother who took guardianship of my him but I still have taken responisibilty for him all that happened was she's his...

Can I stop my child from seeing their dad [ 5 Answers ]

Can I put a stop to my child visiting her dad because of his new wife who my child doesn't get on with? Who is making her life hell.

Is there any way I can report my dad for abuse but my mother not be charged? [ 11 Answers ]

I want to report my dad for child and spousal abuse but I do not want my mother to be charged with child abuse as well. She is not abusive. If I report my father for child abuse, will my mother also be investigated? If I report my father, and my mother is investigated, will there be separate...

How do I prove myself a better mother than there drunk dad? [ 6 Answers ]

I recently went to court for custody of my three kids and the judge ruled aganst me because I couldn't give him any reason why my kids should be moved from the marital home.My husband and I were granted our divorce but he got custody even though he has had 4 drunk drivings and 2 of them were in the...

View more questions Search