Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dk1967 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2010, 05:43 PM
    What is this yucky worm I found in my kitchen?
    I found this one-inch long thing on my kitchen floor today:

I'm freaking out because I just adopted a new kitty from my local shelter, he came upstairs from the basement into the kitchen for the first time... not long after I found this worm.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Nov 30, 2010, 01:56 AM

I suppose you may be fearful that this is a parasite that may have come from your cat. I can't tell exactly what this is, but it appears to be a moth larva, perhaps a cutworm, or a beetle larva. These are not parasites of cats. Flea larvae are worm-like, but they are very small and don't have a big head. Bot flies are larger, but again don't have a big head.

The worms that can be parasites are nematodes. Nematodes don't have the big head that this creature has. You don't have to worry.

Nov 30, 2010, 05:53 PM
    Thank you so much! I now think that maybe it came from underneath the refrigerator, which I had cleaned the day before (I pulled it out to vacuum the back coils) so maybe it was "disturbed" from its slumber. Now I can go enjoy my new kitty!

Nov 30, 2010, 05:56 PM
    Comment on gnahcd's post
    Thank you so much! I now think that maybe it came from underneath the refrigerator, which I had cleaned the day before (I pulled it out to vacuum the back coils) so maybe it was "disturbed" from its slumber. Now I can go enjoy my new kitty

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Yucky bath woes [ 2 Answers ]

When the washing machine drains, it backs up into the bathtub. Gross, gross, gross if you are having a bath. I tried a drain cleaner in both the tub drain and the washers drain with no results. I think that stuff works better on the commercials than in real life. Tried to snake the tub drain,...

Kitchen sink/disposal shoots out yucky water and food! [ 3 Answers ]

We have just moved into a new house (built in 1950). When we turn on our garbage disposal, the drains on both sides of the sink shoot out really disgusting water with a ton of food, etc. in it. It truly shoots straight up into the air and pretty much gets on everything in the kitchen! Is this a...

Yucky fleas! [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, my dog has fleas and I am in the works of getting rid of them. But it's grossing me out and I feel all yucky and I'm paranoid that they are on me & in my hair! I don't even want to go home! Can they live in my hair as well? What do I do? Yuck!:confused:

HELP! Yucky sewer water in basement! [ 1 Answers ]

There is a pipe behind the washing machine in my basement that is spurting sewer-water all over the place when we flush or use the shower. Our washing machine has its drain hook snaked through the top of the pipe (has been like that for years) and that's where the water from the toilet and shower...

View more questions Search