Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DOMINCI Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2010, 11:09 AM
    How do we calculate a imput wattage on a fixture?
    How do we calculate a imput wattage on a fixture?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 22, 2010, 11:31 AM

Wattage is a result, not an input value.

The simple formula is P= I*E. The translation is Power or Watts is equal to I (Amperage) * E (Voltage)

For example, a 15 Amp circuit using 120 V will yield 1800 Watts, 15*120 = 1800.

I say “simple” because there is another way of calculating the wattage by including the "pf" (Power Factor) in the formula.

What you need to be asking is what the listed amperage of the light is or the "VA" (Volt Amps).

The listed wattage of the lamp will tell you what size circuit needs to supply the lamp. For example, by code the smallest sized power branch circuit in a residence is 15 Amp and the standard voltage here in the U.S.A. is 120 V. As before, that equates to an 1800 Watt circuit. If the lamp uses 700 watts then all is fine. However, if the lamp uses 2200 Watts then you would need to put the lamp on a circuit no smaller than 20 Amp / 120 V.

For example: 20*120= 2400 VA or Watts.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 22, 2010, 11:31 AM

There is no such thing as input wattage for a fixture. Wattage is a measurement of draw, or load.

What is it you actually want to know?

Ohm's Law might help you.
    zeke Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2010, 06:54 AM
    Are you looking for how much wattage an item uses when on or how much wattage an item uses over a period?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To get higher wattage output in a lower output fixture. [ 1 Answers ]

We purchased a Harbor Breeze fan with light fixture, but did not see that the wattage output was only going to be 40 watts. We need more lighting in our room. We have tried bigger watt bulbs but the fixture starts to blink and then goes dim(back to the 40 watt output). How can we change that?

Total wattage of T8 light fixture [ 8 Answers ]

How do I caclulate the total watts consumed by a T8 fluorescent light fixture? It has (6) 28w bulbs with two ultra high electronic ballasts. Thanks, John

Why maximum wattage for light fixture [ 2 Answers ]

I've installed a new kitchen light fixture that has a maximum wattage of 60 watts per socket. Unfortunately this does not create enough light. What would happen if I up the bulbs to 100 watts each?

Calculating wattage: each bulb, or fixture? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there again. Thanks for all the useful help on this site. I think the last piece of info I need to complete my project is, when calculating wattages, (ex, 15 amp, 1440 watts max), if a light fixture has 4-60 watt bulbs, does that count as 240 watts or as one fixture at 60. Sounds like a...

Maximum wattage for light fixture [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new hamptom bays ceiling light fixture. It has two sockets for light bulbs and is labeled "maximum wattage 60" Does that mean a total of 60 watts between the two or 60 for each bulb.

View more questions Search